**Ceiling Fan Wiring Issue**

Old 09-28-13, 07:51 PM
**Ceiling Fan Wiring Issue**

Hello, I am a brand new member to the forum and would like to thank you in advance for any help that you can provide me with!!

I'll start from the beginning and give any information that I can think of that might help you help me.

I installed a ceiling fan with 4 bulb light and remote about 5 years ago. At the time I got it worked out I think through trail and error. The setup I had with it was the switch would cut the light on and off - but the remote is what we used for the light while in the bed and the only way to operate the fan. That way we could have the fan running with the light and wall switch in the off position.

Well, that fan decided to go out as it just started running very slowly and I tried changing the pull chain to make sure it hadn't gotten pulled somehow and I also tried the reverse pull to make sure it wasn't inbetween positions or something. So I went and bought a new $99 Hunter "5 minute fan." It did not come with a remote but I figured that I would just wire in the old remote and use it.

Now onto the wiring side. In the box at the ceiling - I have 2 blacks, 2 whites, and a ground wire. After reading through the forum here I have come to realize that my ceiling box isn't a fan rated box as it only has "ears" and not the full screw post - a blessing that I haven't had any issues as there was a fan in it before the last one - only a smaller one though - the last was a 52" and so is this one. When I pulled the wiring out this time, I can tell you that I had the two blacks together and not exactly sure about the rest to be honest - this is my main concerns because everything seemed to work fine but when I looked around on the net I haven't seen anybody mention wiring the wall switch black and the power switch together.

I have now purchased a new box and will be getting everything down and installing the correct box. Up until this point I haven't been able to see where white and black go with each other, so I had to troubleshoot to see what pairs go with each other. From what I can understand it appears that one pair of wires are providing power and the other set are for the switch. I have used my MM to test and I have found the black and white pair that have power with the breaker on and I have used the continuity fuction to determine which pair are for the switch and the MM changes as you operate the switch, so I think I have figured out what all the wires are and where they go.

Now the fan has a black wire, a white wire, and a black/white wire. The remote has on one side(the power side) a red wire and a white wire. On the opposite side the box has a blue wire(light), a black wire(motor) and a white wire(com). Now that I have given you way more then you probably wanted I would be grateful if anyone could point me in the right direction for wiring this all up correctly.

So to sum it all up - ceiling has 2 blacks, 2 whites, 1 ground - fan remote box has 1 red, 1 white(power side) and 1 blue, 1 white, 1 black(fan output side) - and the fan has 1 white, 1 black, and 1 white/black

I need this to work where the fan is only controlled by the fan remote and the pull string will be set on high, the light will work with either the wall switch or the remote.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP AND TIME!! SORRY FOR GOING ON and ON but I noticed in most forum post the responder doesn't always have the info they need and I believe that I have given pretty much everything you will need to steer me in the right direction! Thanks again and have a blessed night!!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-13, 04:50 PM
Nobody?

Wow 90 views and not one reply. Anybody here that can't point me in the right direction of how to figure this wiring situation out properly? I need to get this fan back up as it has been out for two days now. It seemed there are many people here qualified to tell me how I should proceed.

Please let me know if I didn't provide enough info or if you need pictures or something I would be happy to provide any info you need. Thank you again in advance for your help!!

Old 09-29-13, 05:09 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

I drew up a little diagram for you to make the wiring easier. With this diagram.... the wall switch only will control the light. The fan will only work with the remote. You can't have the switch off and have the remote activate the light.

You could have the switch turn off the fan and light but then the remote won't work. They do make a wall switch that will control the fan and light separately as well as the remote control but it would need to be the match to the wireless remote.

Name:  CC.jpg
Views: 2364
Size:  25.9 KB

Old 09-29-13, 05:36 PM
Thanks!!

Hello and thank you very much for your reply!!! I am not exactly sure I understand your diagram and want to try to get a better understanding.

Let me also say that I did have the old fan wired where the remote would turn the light on or off with the wall switch off - the only time it wouldn't do anything is if the wall switch was on - then at that point the light would be on and no matter what you pressed on the remote(as fan as the light button) it wouldn't change the light - the fan would still work properly no matter what position the wall switch was on.

I have included a diagram of all the wires that I have that have to be hooked up and hopefully will help you see exactly what I have going on. It is not a perfect drawing by any means but hopefully will get the point across!

Thanks again for your help as I know that you have better things to do with your time!!

Attached Images  
Old 09-29-13, 05:49 PM
Group Moderator
Are those the exact colors you have on the remote controller ?

I'm used to seeing white and black as power in...... not red and white.

Old 09-29-13, 06:14 PM
Pics

Hello, the first pic is of what I have at the ceiling, the 2nd and 3rd pics are of the fan remote box and the last is a picture of the new fan wires. Thanks!

Attached Images     
Old 09-29-13, 06:51 PM
Group Moderator
Below is the revised drawing. You'll notice a wire shown in orange. That is shown like that because it is a connection that would normally not be made. That connection connects the output of the wall switch to the output of the remote control and the light in the fan together.

You stated that the wall switch and the remote both previously controlled the light with the remote control box you currently have. My drawing is based completely on that statement.

Name:  CC.jpg
Views: 11114
Size:  21.8 KB

Old 09-29-13, 07:09 PM
Thanks!!!

Hey I can't thank you enough for your help!!

That drawing is pefect! Something I wanted to ask you before I wire this up and get too far ahead..... The original wiring in the box(2 white, 2 black, and 2 grounds) - the grounds were not tied to the box at all at the ceiling - they were just wire nutted together. The bad parts was the 2 grounds were really short and wouldn't reach to attach to the box. They were just twisted really well and then wire nutted together.

When I put in the new ceiling fan rated box, I added 2 more grounds to the current grounds and wire nutted them together. 1 of the new grounds I sent to the box and secured with the new ground screw that came with the box. The other new ground I sent under the ground screw on the new ceiling fan plate and then kept the current fan ground free to wire to the fan. Is that the correct way to do it - will that be a sufficent ground setup? I think ideally it the 2 grounds in the box and the celing fan ground should all be connect straight to the box but am not sure as I have heard others mention that they have grounds wire nutted and just laying in the box.

Lastly, what is the other way to wire the setup I have that you would normally do? I know that you mentioned that the orange wire was a different way of doing it - will the way you sent be ok to do or should I just do the normal way that you know?

Thanks again for all your questions and I will leave you be after this one! Thank you and God Bless you!!

Old 09-29-13, 07:24 PM
Group Moderator
Not a problem.

It's important to connect the mounting box to ground and it sounds like you have that covered.

In my diagram.... there are two ways to turn the light on. Normally just one method would be chosen... not both.

Old 09-29-13, 07:33 PM
Gotcha! Thanks again for your help and I will give you the all clear once I have it all wired up and working!!

Old 09-29-13, 08:22 PM
Thanks again!!!

Just to clear up about having the two "switches" - when you walk in the room we use the wall switch as it is right by the door. However, while in the bed if we want to turn on the light the remote is mounted on the wall right next to the bed and about 10ft from the wall switch. Maybe that makes more sense now.

Anyway, here is a picture of your fruits of labor! It is working perfectly!! Thanks again for all your help!!

I am glad that I found the forum and will probably be back to ask more questions in the future and maybe can help at some point too!

Attached Images  
Old 09-29-13, 10:01 PM
Group Moderator
You are very welcome. Glad to see it working for you. Good job.