Ceiling Fan Wiring

Old 09-29-13, 04:30 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ceiling Fan Wiring

I've looked through some old posts to see if anyone had the same issue as I did and while there was plenty of ceiling fan wiring threads, none of them fit my particular situation.

So I recently replaced an old ceiling fan with a brand new one. Now the fan works fine but when I turn the light switch on, the lights turn on for a second but then shut right off. When I took the old fan down, there was a black, white and ground coming from the ceiling. I attached the black and blue from the fan/light to the black from the ceiling and then attached white to white and ground to ground.

The fan/light is connected to a single switch. In the switch box there was two whites taped together, 2 blacks, one attached to each screw of the switch, and a ground.

I can't figure out what might be causing the lights to shut off immediately. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-13, 05:28 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
It seems your wiring is correct, albeit possibly loose. Have you pulled the bell down and resecured all the black/blue wires and the white wires? Check your bulbs to make sure they are seated securely in the sockets.

Old 09-29-13, 06:48 PM
R
Bulbs have been checked and they are securely seated. I've checked the wiring and everything seems to be connected pretty tightly both in the fan and in the switch box. But still every time I flip the switch, the lights turn on and then right off. Don't know where to go from here.

Old 09-29-13, 07:37 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I've checked the wiring and everything seems to be connected pretty tightly both in the fan and in the switch box.
This isn't the source of your problem but it's still something that needs to be checked and corrected:
In the switch box there was two whites taped together,
The two neutrals need to be spliced by twisting the wires together, clockwise. The splice can be trimmed if it needs to be, and should be protected with a wire nut. There should be no tape in the switch box, on that splice, or on any other splice.

Moving on to the problem:
I attached the black and blue from the fan/light to the black from the ceiling and then attached white to white and ground to ground... Bulbs have been checked and they are securely seated. I've checked the wiring and everything seems to be connected pretty tightly both in the fan and in the switch box. But still every time I flip the switch, the lights turn on and then right off.
The black fan wire should take ungrounded power to the fan motor. The blue fan wire should take power to the light. The white fan wire should be neutral for both the fan motor and the light.

Since the fan is working properly, the neutral and the black wire appear to be connected properly. Check the connections for the blue wire in two locations:

In the canopy, take the power splice apart. Make sure that there is an adequate amount of conductor exposed at the end of the blue wire. Lay the black house wire, the black fan wire and the blue fan wire together with the ends of their insulation lined up. Twist those three wires together gently, clockwise. Twist a new wire nut with a good steel spring coil inside it onto the splice to complete and protect it.

In the hub, make sure that the push connector that connects the wires for the light kit to the wires feeding down from the canopy is solidly and securely connected.

One question: Is the wall switch an on/off switch?

Old 10-03-13, 04:59 PM
R
I've replaced the duct tape with a wire nut since I had the outlet taken apart. I checked all the wires, even took the whole fan down and started everything from the beginning. Still no luck. And yes the wall switch is your standard on/off switch.

Old 10-03-13, 05:22 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I've replaced the duct tape with a wire nut since I had the outlet taken apart.
Duct tape? Wow. Duct tape is a really good conductor (don't ask me how I know that). Glad you got it corrected.

I checked all the wires, even took the whole fan down and started everything from the beginning. Still no luck.
Are you saying they're still coming on for a second or so and then going off? If so, what kind of bulbs are you using? Have you tested them in a regular lamp? If the light kit has a pull chain, does switching that not help?

The only remaining test I can think of is to dismount the light kit, cut the switch on, and test for 120V at the light kit connector. Kinda tricky with the fan running though.

And yes the wall switch is your standard on/off switch.
You should replace that, but we can get to that later.

Old 10-03-13, 05:56 PM
R
Ha...By duct tape I meant electrical tape. Yes the lights are still coming on for a second and then shutting off. It has a pull chain, when it's pulled, the light doesn't turn on at all when flipping the switch so the chain is working. I am just using the 40 watt bulbs that came with the ceiling fan. I have not tried using them in any other fixture.