IC rated recessed housing with Non-IC rated LED retrofit

Old 10-01-13, 12:47 PM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
IC rated recessed housing with Non-IC rated LED retrofit

I'm looking for a little advice. I have installed 4"Lithonia IC rated remodel housings into my insulated ceiling. I plan to install LED retrofits. I have found one at Lowes (Utilitech Pro White 4-In Integrated Led Remodel Recessed Lighting Kit) on sale but in the specifications it lists the lamp as Non-IC. Am I ok installing this in an IC housing or are they looking for Non-IC housings to vent the heat?

Old 10-01-13, 01:08 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
LED retrofits can go in any can. Their heat output is minimal compared to incandescent.

Old 10-01-13, 09:28 PM
Received 6 Upvotes on 5 Posts
The housing on a recessed light is in contact - or not - with the insulation. The trim and lampholder aren't.

Any light bulb that draws no more current than the maximum voltage rating for the fixture can be used safely.

Old 10-02-13, 05:33 AM
I
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I just found it odd that the LED kit specifically says NON-IC.

Old 10-02-13, 09:40 AM
Received 6 Upvotes on 5 Posts
I just found it odd that the LED kit specifically says NON-IC.
This is becoming confusing. I'll try clarifying it based on my understanding of your question.

Since you didn't link to the specific product you're considering, I searched for the name you gave it. I found two products at Lowe's, which is where you said you found it. One is a 4" remodel light fixture: Utilitech Pro White 4-In Integrated LED Remodel Recessed Lighting Kit. The description for it says Insulation contact rated.

The other is an LED trim-and-lamp assembly with a "plug" that screws into the lampholder in an existing housing: Utilitech Pro White 4-In Integrated Led Remodel Recessed Lighting Kit. This sounds like what you have in mind.

Yes, it does say Non-IC in the specifications. Of course it's not rated to be in contact with insulation on it's own. It's designed and rated to be screwed and mounted into an existing housing. If that housing is IC, the owner is good to go. If the housing is non-IC and not in contact with insulation, the owner is good to go. If the housing is non-IC and is in contact with insulation, that's non-compliant and a hazard, but it was already that way before the kit was installed.

The only way to put this kit in contact with insulation would be to somehow mount it directly into the ceiling and screw it into a socket that was floating there. Clearly a violation on many points.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: