Fluorescent light starter flickers?

Old 10-02-13, 07:05 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Fluorescent light starter flickers?

I have kitchen ceiling 4 lights for 10 years and every so often now it flickers for a while and goes back to normal. Do I replace the fluorescent light starter if so where? Does all of the fluorescent light have starter?

Attached Images  

Last edited by Nashkat1; 10-02-13 at 10:23 PM. Reason: Remove formatting
Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-13, 10:30 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I have kitchen ceiling 4 lights for 10 years and every so often now it flickers for a while and goes back to normal. Do I replace the fluorescent light starter if so where? Does all of the fluorescent light have starter?
A fluorescent fixture that's only 10 years old should have T-8 tubes and an electronic ballast. It will not have a starter.

I would check all of the wire connections inside the fixture. Also, one or two of the tombstones might be loose. Try pushing them in, toward the tubes.

I would make sure the circuit is off at the breaker before opening one of these up. Light fixtures in commercial spaces are often supplied with 277V power.

Old 10-06-13, 09:09 AM
Kitchen Fluorescent Lighting Ballast

I will go to buy the Fluorescent Lighting Ballast for my kitchen. Which do I buy 4-Bulb Commercial Magnetic Fluorescent Lighting Ballast that has Voltage (Volts) 277.0 or Bulb Residential Magnetic Fluorescent Lighting Ballast that has Voltage (Volts) 103

Attached Images  
Old 10-06-13, 09:28 AM
As an electrician, I cannot stress the benefit of physically taking the ballast to the wholesalers and letting the shop attendant choose the appropriate ballast.
That's what I used to do, although nowadays I use my crystal clear phone camera and take pics with all serial numbers clear to see.

Old 10-06-13, 10:54 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
277v is strictly commercial in US and Canada never single family residential. 103 volts is only used in certain parts of Japan. Voltage should be on the old ballast. As Electrician1 said take the ballast with you.

Old 10-06-13, 10:59 AM
Group Moderator
Received 413 Votes on 387 Posts
If your fixture uses the larger old style T-12 lamps....you may not find a replacement ballast.

You will have to change the tubes to T-8 lamps, which will fit in the sames sockets and purchase a ballast for four F32T-8 lamps.

Old 10-06-13, 02:45 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Which do I buy 4-Bulb Commercial Magnetic Fluorescent Lighting Ballast that has Voltage (Volts) 277.0 or Bulb Residential Magnetic Fluorescent Lighting Ballast that has Voltage (Volts) 103
As PJ said, you may not find a ballast for the older, larger T-12 lamps. That's the same as saying that you probably won't be able to find a magnetic ballast.

That said, you'll need to buy a 4-lamp (4-tube) electronic ballast that takes 120V 60Hz input. If it has a second input wire for 277V that's OK. You can ignore that wire when you're wiring it in. You'll also need to buy four fF32T-8 lamps, as PJ also said. Connect your new ballast to your existing supply and tombstone wiring by following the diagram that comes with it.

The single greatest virtue of having the old ballast with you when shopping for the new one is to help you get one that has the same dimensions and can be mounted using the old ears and screws in the fixture, IMX.