Old 10-20-13, 07:11 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Loose black wire in ceiling fan/light

Name:  fan 011.jpg
Views: 1810
Size:  33.8 KBHello,

Thanks in advance for anyone that can help me.

A ceiling fan/light was put up in the bedroom improperly. Not by me, I must add. Anyway, it fell and was let hanging by a wire. No one's hurt and all electricity in the room works fine.

It looks like it might be an easy fix to fix the fan and I'm hoping that is true. It is a Harbor Breeze ceiling fan with light. Now, there is only a white wire coming out of the fan to wire to the ceiling. The black wire, which has one fused-type of plug-in-end needs to be put back in the fan. There is also a black wire with a sealed end that doesn't connect to anything. I'm wondering what that is for?

The picture shows a plastic color coded junction box that looks like where the fused black wire plugs into. I'm not sure about that though. Can someone explain where to put the black wire?

Thanks,
Lynn
Name:  fan 009.jpg
Views: 1218
Size:  24.2 KB

Last edited by lmatt2002; 10-20-13 at 08:56 AM. Reason: Added bundled wires and black wire inserted
Old 10-20-13, 07:54 AM
Group Moderator
Received 4,056 Upvotes on 3,639 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

First and foremost......why did the fan fall down ?
Was it due to a junction box failure ?

Now would be a good time to confirm that you indeed have a fan rated box in the ceiling.

That black wire with the little cap is an antenna wire. The black that got pulled out most likly goes to that plastic connection block. Is there a black colored port that is empty ?

Old 10-20-13, 09:09 AM
L
Thank you, that's great. I added a photo with the black wire inserted in the black coded spot.

(The picture is in my previous post. The editor didn't give me the option to add a picture to this reply.)

The black wire inserted is indicated with the screwdriver. Now, I need to know if the black wire goes straight up the fan to the ceiling or if it has to be bundled in any of those bundles? My guess it goes straight up, otherwise it wouldn't have broken off so cleanly.

FYI - my previous tenants put up the fan/light, without my permission. My new tenants moved in in July and just last week emailed me a picture with the fan hanging by a wire and said that they were awoken at 5 am with a fan hanging over their head. Luckily, they were laughing about it.

The new tenants said that they used the fan all summer and it worked fine. They couldn't believe it held up this long as the only thing holding up the fan was two drywall anchors. The two drywall anchors are what failed.

No, there is not a fan rated box in the ceiling and the fan is not going back up there. Yes, now in the lease, I have to add that the tenants cannot put drywall anchors in or new fixtures up without my permission.

Old 10-20-13, 10:17 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
You need to use the advanced editor to insert images. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/li...-pictures.html

What are you going to do with the wiring there. You still need a box if you are going to put a light or abandon the cable still connected.

Old 10-20-13, 10:41 AM
L
Thanks, I put the light that was previously in the house back up and all is fine.

My goal here is to make sure that the fan is usable. When I have hired an electrician before, he didn't want to do any finagling with the fixture. When I hire him to put the fan/light up in the new house, I don't want him to have to futz around to make the fan work. I'm going to assume the black wire will go straight up the fan/light to the ceiling.

Thanks again!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: