Kitchen Wiring Issue

Old 10-22-13, 03:32 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Kitchen Wiring Issue

Hello,

I'm having an issue replacing a new light fixture in my kitchen. This is a older home and it seems like the electrical is a bit weird. There is only (1) light switch for the light that I'm replacing.

Wall Switch Box
Top left corner of the light switch box has a black, white, red, and ground
Top Right corner of the light switch box has a black, white, and ground
Bottom of the light switch box has a black, white, and ground (I believe this is the power source)

All the white wires are capped together
All the blacks wires are capped together with an additional wire added to go to the light switch
Red wire from the top left entry is wired to switch

Ceiling Wiring
Top Left ceiling has a black, white, red, and ground
Top Right ceiling has a black, white, and ground (I'm not sure where this runs to)

Light Fixture
White, Black, and ground

What is the proper way this should be wired?

Name:  z.jpg
Views: 382
Size:  23.1 KB

Attached Images  

Last edited by ray2047; 10-22-13 at 08:25 PM. Reason: Rotate and Resize image.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-13, 03:48 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Welcome to the forums!

In the ceiling, the red wire should be coming from the switch and the 2-conductor cable should be feeding out.

I would splice the two black wires together and fold them into the box. Splice the grounds together and add the fixture ground, if it has one. Splice the (white) neutrals together and add the fixture neutral. Splice the fixture black to the red wire.

Old 10-22-13, 03:51 PM
Received 25 Votes on 19 Posts
First off you must make certain which cable (set of wires in an outer jacket) is supplying power. To do this you need a voltmeter, a wired voltage tester or a test light. A non-contact tester is not good enough for this job.

Then you need to determine what other receptacles or lights are also on this circuit. Once you do this post back with the information.

Old 10-22-13, 07:54 PM
I ran the red & black wire to the light switch on the wall.

In the ceiling I put all (3) whites together, put the grounds together, put the (2) blacks from each side together. I then put the (1) red to the (1) black from the light fixture.

Same result as before as the light won't work. I removed the switch and tested the voltage to make sure everything was working and I had a reading, so wiring on the ceiling must be done differently.

Old 10-22-13, 08:31 PM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Bottom of the light switch box has a black, white, and ground (I believe this is the power source)... I removed the switch and tested the voltage to make sure everything was working and I had a reading
It doesn't read like you did it correctly. The correct way to test is disconnect the bottom cable and test for voltage between the black and white of that cable with a multimeter, preferably analog. (A non contact tester won't work.)

Old 10-23-13, 01:30 PM
Ray2047, I unbound the wires in the light switch box. There were three different entries.

Red, Black, white, ground - Top Left corner (These are the wires that go to the light switch)
Black, white, ground - Top right corner (I believe these go to an outlet in the living room?)
Black, white, ground - Bottom of the box (Source of power)

When I flipped on the power the bottom entry wires were the only ones with a reading of 120 volts.

Here is the connections in the light switch box:
(3) Blacks from all entries bound together, plus an extra black that ran from these to the light switch itself
(3) Whites bound together from all entries
(1) Red top top left entry connected to the light switch

I had used the setup stated above in the light switch box, but hooked up the whites to the whites, and blacks to the blacks, and capped the red in the ceiling. Once I flipped the breaker back on the light would just stay on and couldn't be turned off from the switch.

Old 10-23-13, 01:55 PM
Group Moderator
At the switch box connect the black of power in cable to red of the three conductor cable and white of power in cable to white of the 3-conductor cable. Leave everything else disconnected. At the ceiling connect the light to the red and white of the 3-conductor cable. Turn the breaker on. Does it light up?

Old 10-23-13, 02:36 PM
Yes, The light lit up. I also discovered that the cable that entered from the top right into the switch box is for the front half of my living room.

Old 10-23-13, 03:02 PM
Group Moderator
Then the most likely way is at the switch:
  • Connect all whites to each other.
  • All blacks to a pigtail.
  • Pigtail to one side of the switch.
  • Red to the other side of the switch.
At the light:
  • All whites including the light white together.
  • All blacks except the light black together.
  • Light black to red.

Old 10-23-13, 05:37 PM
Ray, Thank you for your help. I hooked it up like you stated above and everything is working. I really appreciated your help! Thanks again

Old 10-23-13, 06:20 PM
Group Moderator
Glad you got it. Thanks for letting us know.