New Ceiling Light - Chandelier in Dining Room

Old 10-24-13, 09:12 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New Ceiling Light - Chandelier in Dining Room

Hi everyone!

1. This time I am installing a chandelier in the dining room. The room is pre-wired, but never had a fixture. (2 on/off switches at opposite points of the room and wires in the ceiling - just no fixture)

2. It appears to be a three-way set up, with on/off switches at the front and back of the dining room.

3. At the ceiling I have a black, a white, and a red wire (and a bare).
4. The chandelier has (1) black (1) black, and (1) bare. Yes, it has two black wires, and they came with little stickers (an "L or H" and the other with a "W" if I recall correctly. Ugh - the stickers fell off.
5. I imagine that one of the black is suppose to be neutral and the other "hot"

6. How should I be connecting these?

I was supposing that I'd have white to white, black to black, and bare to bare?
This didn't work. Not even constant "on."

It seems I should have been doing something with the Red from the ceiling - since it is a three-way set upů but what?

I have been unable to find a schematic on line with this set-up (at least not yet).

Thanks in advance!

Jason

Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-13, 02:58 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Jason, do you only have one switch at each location to operate this light? It may help if you were to remove the power at the breaker and pull the switch, and post a couple of pictures of the insides of the switch boxes, as well as the ceiling box. On the light, you may have zip cord for wiring. If so, the wire with the ribs on it is the neutral. If not, post a picture of that too.

Old 10-25-13, 05:34 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi Chandler_

Thanks for your questions. They caused me to challenge my assumptions and I quickly figured out what I was doing wrong - which was making things too complicated. First, there wasn't a second light switch controlling the new chandelier. (The "2nd" switch actually controlled an outside light!) Second, I checked the zip-cord set-up (I had it right) but I realized that the RED ceiling wire was a switched HOT, not the black ceiling wire (so I just changed a single wire on the hook-up to the Chandelier) and now it works great. Thanks again.

I just capped the ceiling black wire - although I must admit I am not certain what it is for (unless there is a run for a ceiling fan or a dimmer? Just a guess.)

Old 10-25-13, 05:52 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I just capped the ceiling black wire - although I must admit I am not certain what it is for (unless there is a run for a ceiling fan or a dimmer
Ceiling fan is probably the best guess. Thanks for letting us know it worked.