Shallow recessed lighting options

Old 10-25-13, 03:45 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Shallow recessed lighting options

I would like to add a few recessed lights into my sunroom. It's an older 80's enclosed patio with a drop ceiling. The space above the cieling tile is only 4-5". I found several recessed LED lights on Amazon(example), but according to some reviews, they are not up to US code.

Are there other options that are up to code that will fit in the space available? Alternatively, are there ways to make this or a similar fixture to code?

Old 10-25-13, 09:59 PM
Received 6 Upvotes on 5 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

I followed your link - 12Watt 4-Inch LED Retrofit Recessed remodel Lighting Fixture - and skimmed the reviews. There were 13 of them. 11 were 5 star, one was 4 star, and one was 1 star. The person who wrote the only negative (1 star) review asserted a lot of negative things about the fixtures, including that they do not meet code requirements, but did not offer any information to support their assertions. That one review appeared to be all judgement and no observation, in other words.

The other twelve reviewers loved the fixtures and found them easy to install and good sources of light. Given the overall pattern of the reviews, I see no reason to believe there's anything non-compliant or unsafe about these fixtures.

Am I missing something?

Last edited by Nashkat1; 10-25-13 at 10:15 PM.
Old 10-25-13, 10:16 PM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
Reading the blurb from the manufacturer, nowhere do they state the lamps have any kind of NRTL approval. The broken English makes me believe that they are made in China and if they have any kind of NRTL stamp/sticker it is likely a forgery.

That stated, they are upfront in detailing that these lamps are non-IC and should have a cover over them to protect the surrounding area and/or the lamp itself. The one review that stated they need to have some #16 to #20 wire added to the lamp leads between the lamp and the house wiring pretty much states that the lamps do not have an "approved" connection box.

I know of at least one city electrical inspector that would probably fail any installation using these lamps. I MIGHT not balk at using them in my own house but I am also rather cautious in how I install such things.

Honestly, I would far prefer to see these (non-approved) lamps used carefully than to see an "approved" 250 watt "sun lamp" bulb installed in a ceiling mount fed from #14 K & T wiring.

Old 10-28-13, 10:09 AM
H
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ok, makes sense. Thanks!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: