installing a ceiling fan with light.

Old 10-29-13, 05:39 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cool installing a ceiling fan with light.

I have a light switch that operates an outlet. I hooked up a new ceiling fan with light to the switch. How do i make the ceiling fan work on the switch and not the outlet. I want the outlet Hot all the time.
Thanks Dan

Old 10-29-13, 05:48 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
How do i make the ceiling fan work on the switch and not the outlet.
No way to answer that question. We don't know if power comes in at the switch or the receptacle. We don't know if the receptacle is half switched or full switched. We don't know the wireing at the receptacle. We don't know if you ran a 2-conductor cable or a 3-conductor cable to the fan. Answer these questions and we can help you.

Old 10-29-13, 08:58 PM
Received 6 Upvotes on 5 Posts
Answer Ray's questions and we'll tell you how to do it.

Old 11-02-13, 09:50 AM
D
Black, Red and white coming from the outlet. Black and white coming down from the attic and Black and white coming from Ceiling fan. all whites are connected to themselves and not to the switch. Red connected to switch by it's self. ceiling fan and outlet Black are connected with a jumper going to switch with Black coming from attic.

Old 11-02-13, 09:58 AM
D
to turn off the power to the room, it will also shut the power to half my living room. that will kill internet connection.

Old 11-02-13, 10:03 AM
Black, Red and white coming from the outlet.
Do you mean going to the receptacle? Are those the only wires. Is the tab broken between the brass screws of the receptacle? If the tab is broken replace with a new receptacle and do not break the tab. Cap the red and connect the black to the receptacle.

Red connected to switch by it's self. ceiling fan and outlet Black are connected with a jumper going to switch with Black coming from attic.
Remove the red and cap. Connect the "hot" black to one side of the switch. Connect the black to the receptacle and black to the fan to a pigtail and the pigtail to the other side of the switch. Neutral from fan with the other neutrals.

Old 11-02-13, 10:14 AM
D
Those are the three sets of wires going to the switch. between the screws are covered by plastic. so i dont know

Old 11-02-13, 11:12 AM
D
the red wire needs to be hot all the time. it controls my living room.
CRAP!!!

Old 11-02-13, 11:16 AM
Why do you even need the red wire? Doesn't power for the receptacles come in at the switch? Isn't there a black wire to carry power to the receptacles?

Old 11-02-13, 11:29 AM
D
the red wire going from the switch to the receptacle also goes into the livingroom, for some reason it needs to be connected in order fro the living room to have power.

Old 11-02-13, 12:28 PM
I wrote:
Remove the red and cap. Connect the "hot" black to one side of the switch. Connect the black to the receptacle and black to the fan to a pigtail and the pigtail to the other side of the switch. Neutral from fan with the other neutrals.
Edited version: Remove the red from the switch. Connect the "hot" black to one side of the switch. Connect the black to the receptacle and black to the fan and red to a pigtail and the pigtail to the other side of the switch. Neutral from fan with the other neutrals.

Old 11-02-13, 01:16 PM
D
thank you. i need to do some more research on that red wire. the light switch in the bedroom now shuts off the living room.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: