Help troubleshooting dead ceiling fan

Old 11-05-13, 12:44 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help troubleshooting dead ceiling fan

Hello,

My wife reported that she heard a pop from the ceiling fan in our kitchen and when she came in the lights were out.

I've confirmed that one of the candelabra style lights blew and replaced it; however, the lights still do not go on.

I then did the following:

1) Identified the breaker and toggled it -- still no light
2) I removed the wall control box (it is a Casablanca W-32) and tried it with another fan in the house. That fan/light works so I know it is not the wall control box that failed.
3) I measured the voltage coming into the junction box with a multimeter -- the voltage read ~107

How troubling is the voltage reading? I checked the voltage both at the other fan's junction box (that I opened up to swap the control units) and by plugging into a few nearby sockets and those voltages all read 120-125.

Should I be concentrating on this low voltage as a possible cause or is there something else that may be broken in the fan assembly itself?

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

regards,
Ed

Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-13, 12:52 PM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Does the fan motor still work? Is there a hardwired switch on the wall?

Old 11-05-13, 01:08 PM
Nothing on the fan (neither light nor fan) work. The switch is not hardwired (if I understand the question correctly) but an electronic switch:

Casablanca Inteli Touch W32 Wall Control - Fan Man Lighting.

When I removed the wall switch I did try to connect the white/black wires directly (without the switch) and that produced no result.

Old 11-05-13, 01:17 PM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
You need to drop the canopy and check the connections there.

Old 11-05-13, 01:35 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
The switch is not hardwired (if I understand the question correctly)
The owner's manual for a Casablanca fan with a similar control system shows that the controls operate on 120V systems and are connected to the fixture through conductors. IOW, they're hardwired.

When I removed the wall switch I did try to connect the white/black wires directly (without the switch) and that produced no result.
To each other? It didn't trip the breaker? Tell us the number of cables, the number of wires in each cable, and how each of the wires are connected in this switch box.

The problem is almost certainly in the canopy. That's where the "pop" came from.
Originally Posted by ray2047
You need to drop the canopy and check the connections there.

Old 11-07-13, 05:51 PM
I opened up the canopy and am enclosing a photo of what is inside. It looks like a circuit board wrapping a motor. From what I can tell, not connections seem loose, broken, or burned. Perhaps folks can see something from the picture?

I've also included two photos of the wall junction box. It may be hard to see from the pictures but here is what we have:

* Three cables coming into the box
* 2 cables have black, white, and ground. 1 cable has black, white, ground, and red
* All 3 whites are bound together
* One of the cables has the black capped off
* The cable with the red wire has the black wire going into the switch
* One of the other cables has the black also going into the switch

I assume the cable with the red is coming from the fan and the cable with the black running into the switch is the power cable. Not sure what the cable with the black capped off is going to.

So, any thoughts on what to check from here? Am I out of luck since this fan is so computerized?

Attached Images    
Old 11-07-13, 10:03 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I opened up the canopy and am enclosing a photo of what is inside. It looks like a circuit board wrapping a motor. From what I can tell, not connections seem loose, broken, or burned. Perhaps folks can see something from the picture?
What can be determined from this picture is that we're looking inside the motor housing. The splices that connect your fan to the house wiring are inside the fan canopy, at the top of the downrod.

any thoughts on what to check from here?
Recover the motor and lower the canopy. Check the cables, wires, splices and terminations there. It still sounds like that's the likely area for a problem to have cropped up in.

BTW, a picture can be useful in illustrating or clarifying what's being described. It usually can't help without the description.

I've also included two photos of the wall junction box. It may be hard to see from the pictures but here is what we have:

* Three cables coming into the box
* 2 cables have black, white, and ground. 1 cable has black, white, ground, and red
* All 3 whites are bound together
* One of the cables has the black capped off
* The cable with the red wire has the black wire going into the switch
* One of the other cables has the black also going into the switch
It's difficult to see what's connected to what from your pictures. Thank you for the description. I want to rephrase what you wrote, just for clarity. Please tell me if I miss or misinterpret something.

[Edited version]
* There are two 2-conductor cables and one 3-conductor cable in the switch box
* The 3 white wires are spliced together
* One of the 2-conductor cables has the black capped off
* The black wire in the other 2-conductor cable is connected to the switch
* The black wire in the 3-conductor cable is connected to the switch
* The red wire in the 3-conductor cable is capped off
I assume the cable with the red is coming from the fan and the cable with the black running into the switch is the power cable.
That's one possibility, and a reasonable guess. Using a multimeter to test for voltage will verify that.

Not sure what the cable with the black capped off is going to.
Good question. If your assumption is correct something should be without power - or that cable just goes to a dead end. Are there any dead receptacles or lights anywhere near this location?

Last edited by Nashkat1; 11-07-13 at 10:31 PM.
Old 11-08-13, 11:52 PM
Alright, this thread needs to be steered in the right direction...

In my limited experience with Casablanca W32/12/11 control systems, the bulb blowing probably damaged the control board in the motor and rendered the fan inoperable. Bulbs can and do fail in such a way as to fry electronic dimmers and other controls in house wiring. Been there, done that.

I can talk with some knowledgeable people and get back to you on this, but more than likely you will have to replace the board. It is not uncommon for them to fail.
It is unlikely that any of the house wiring is at fault.

Is this a Casablanca Delta you have?

Old 11-09-13, 04:51 AM
Thanks. It is a Casablanca Panama 5. As a side note, I dd find a YouTube video where a guy found that a resistor had gone bad in the control board and easily replaced that resistor but I checked mine with a multimeter and that was not it.