Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Lighting, Light Fixtures, Ceiling and Exhaust Fans
Reload this Page >

Motion Sensor Lighting in front of Garage - car making lights stay on all night?

Motion Sensor Lighting in front of Garage - car making lights stay on all night?

Old 11-07-13, 08:04 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I have 2 outdoor motion sensored lights installed on top of our garage door. They are connected to a sensor made by Heath Zenith. It looks like an older model but I finally got it working after we moved in.

So the thing was working fine until tonight. We park our cars in the driveway in front of the lights. They usually turn on and then turn off after a minute as I had set the settings. But tonight, I noticed they were on all night! I went up on a ladder and messed around w/ the settings and still they kept being on.

So for the heck of it, I pull out the car (minivan) and drove it around the block and back and then yea, the lights finally turned off.

Now i'm thinking that when I am parking the minivan a certain way in front of the lights/motion sensor, is my windsheild directing the light back at the sensor fooling the senor that there is some type of movement???? I turned down the setting on the sensor to MIN and parked the car a bit left of the lights, and it looks like it is staying off for the night. But this sort of defeats the purpose of the floodlights since I have to be very close to the sensor now to trigger them on.

Anyone hear of this with motion sensors and the car being parked a certain way fooling the sensor to go off?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-13, 09:21 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Your sensor is reading infrared radiation, not visible light, for a variety of good reasons. Given that, any source of IR, including a car engine that hasn't yet cooled off, could trigger it.

That doesn't explain more than about a half-hour though. If you're sure the lights stayed on all night, look for another source of IR that might have been present that night.

I'd turn the sensitivity back up, BTW, to about half-way for a start, to get it to pick up movement at least far enough to startle someone who's close to the cars.

Old 11-08-13, 03:50 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I had this problem with my motion light, and it turns out the problem was the nearby window air conditioner. The sensor was picking up the moving heated air exiting the a/c. Perhaps the rising heat from the engine/hood/grill is causing it?
Andy

Old 11-08-13, 04:25 PM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
A way to test if it is engine heat may be to back the van in.