Install Sconce off other light switch

Old 11-15-13, 09:21 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Install Sconce off other light switch

Hi - I am going to install a set of sconces on an inside wall. There is a light switch on that wall that operate a set of lights on the outside of that wall for the porch. The lights on the outside are almost exactly where the inside sconces will go.

Is there a way to avoid having to pull wire for the new sconces and use the wire from the existing outside lights? The tough part is that I want to add a switch so that they will operate independently.

Just hoping.
Thanks,
Eric

Old 11-16-13, 11:45 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,399 Votes on 1,296 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Adding a new switch isn't the hard part. You can't use the existing wiring to operate your new sconces. You will have to install new wiring.

Old 11-25-13, 12:37 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How I configured the sconces

I wanted to post a quick update on what I ended up doing. I planned on pulling the wire, etc. but that meant I had to get into the crawlspace and drill at an odd angle because of the foundation blocks. Since I don't have much experience pulling cable, especially through fireblocks and insulated walls.

Since the outdoor lights were basically on the other side of the wall I had access to them within inches. I tapped into each line and added a 3 way lamp switch to each indoor sconce. This gives me the option to turn on either inside, outside, or both. I will typically only use the inside lights so I will leave the lamp switch at that setting and control it with the wall switch.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: