Three-way circuit question

Old 11-16-13, 09:30 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Three-way circuit question

My overhead recessed can lights in the garage are on a 3-way circuit (power to first switch inside house --> 2 lights --> second switch near garage door). They don't provide much light in the area where I need it (over a workbench that I just built). The previous owner hung some cheap florescent shop lights and ran a wire with a plug that hangs right next to an outlet. So you plug them in and they give light in the right parts of the garage. This plug and outlet happen to live about six inches from the second switch in the three-way circuit. I'd like to get these on a switch and preferably on the same 3-way circuit as the other lights. I know there are some problems with this and I don't really have access to the can lights without cutting the drywall in the ceiling (prefer not to do that). So I'd like to do one of a few things (in order of preference):

1. add the lights to the three-way circuit so that they come on with the lights in the garage like normal.
2. change 3-way circuit to a single switch circuit (eliminate the second switch) and use the wires that are run to the second switch to tie in the extra lights.
3. a standalone single switch right next to the existing outlet that they're currently plugged into
4. cut into the ceiling and add the florescent lights in to the same circuit as the recessed can lights.
4. add a new circuit completely for these lights (a small hole in the wall from the garage will pop out right next to the breaker box).

Thanks in advance for the suggestions!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-13, 10:18 AM
Group Moderator
Received 381 Votes on 358 Posts
Most, if not all, recessed lights are designed to be removed from below the ceiling for repair.
If that can was pulled down would that allow you a way to get to your new lights ?

There should be three 1/4" hex head screws that get removed and can will slide out.

Old 11-16-13, 02:14 PM
Thanks for the tip. I'll go check. I'm operating on the assumption that if I get to the lights' wiring I can add the new lights by connecting to the neutral and hot of the recessed lights.

Old 11-16-13, 02:19 PM
Group Moderator
Received 381 Votes on 358 Posts
if I get to the lights' wiring I can add the new lights by connecting to the neutral and hot of the recessed lights
That is correct...........

Old 11-17-13, 09:50 PM
Thanks, but no dice. I removed both of the recessed lights and I could see the box with the wiring, but it was nowhere near accessible. I've got an outlet next to my work bench, so I'll just add a switch right there run some flexible metal conduit out of the wall and to the lights. At least the switch will be next to the work area so I won't forget it all the time.

Another question: it's an old house and none of the garage outlets are GFCI, should I add one to the circuit?