White to white, copper to frame, and black to red?

Old 11-18-13, 06:19 AM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
White to white, copper to frame, and black to red?

I'm in the process of installing a new light fixture for my girlfriend. I've never really done anything like this before, so I want to make sure I've got it right. Here's what I got:
Coming out of the ceiling, there is a red and white wire.
Coming from the fixture, there is a white, black, and copper.
I attached a small metal frame plate to the ceiling right underneath the hole for the wiring. I wrapped the copper wire, which I'm assuming is the ground, around a green screw on the plate and tightened the screw. I connected the two whites and connected the black and red. There was also a piece of foam insulation in the old fixture, beneath the cap, that I put in the new one. The light itself works fine now, I just want to make sure everything is as it should be. If there's anything I could explain better, let me know! Thanks!

Old 11-18-13, 06:32 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I attached a small metal frame plate to the ceiling right underneath the hole for the wiring.
Sounds like there isn't a ceiling box. If there isn't you need to install one. But when you write:
Coming out of the ceiling, there is a red and white wire.
It sounds like you have conduit and a metal box. What do you have? A picture might help. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/li...-pictures.html

Old 11-18-13, 06:47 AM
E
It sounds like you have conduit and a metal box.
By metal box do you mean a junction box in the ceiling? As far as I can tell, everything that needs to be there is there. There was already a fixture there, I'm just replacing it. The metal frame plate I mentioned screws into holes already present in the box.

Old 11-18-13, 06:54 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Good. Then just connect as you outlined, white to white, black to red.

Old 11-18-13, 07:08 AM
E
Excellent, just making sure I had the right idea! Thanks!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: