Vibration hum from ceiling fan

Old 11-19-13, 07:11 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Vibration hum from ceiling fan

My husband and I have run across a problem with the ceiling fans in our house (new construction). The fan in our master bedroom and both guest rooms have a noticeable hum while operating. The fans are installed in fan-rated boxes, no dimmer switches. At first we thought we had a run of bad fan motors, now we are led to believe it is just some kind of resonance/vibration causing the hum... because when we push up on the fan while it is running, the hum disappears... because the mouting ball is not contacting the mounting bracket.

We've tried some gasket material between the ball and bracket, which softens the hum but does not eliminate it. So we think we're heading in the right direction....

....has anybody else experienced this? Is there a dampening material (a specific product) I should try? Keep in mind there's not a lot of room up there between the ball and bracket to install anything thick.

Any advice is greatly and gratefully appreciated.

Thank you,
Karen

Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-13, 06:11 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Welcome to the forums!

First some questions, of course:

Did you install the fans or did you pay someone to do it?

What is the make and model of your fans? Better yet, can you post a link to the installation instructions?

Are the mounting brackets tightly secured to the fan-rated boxes with 10-24 screws?

Is there a rubber washer on each mounting screw?

Old 11-20-13, 05:14 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Often light shades will vibrate if not cushioned from the screws holding them. I use a rubber band around the globe attachment point and then install them.

Old 11-21-13, 12:12 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hello, thanks for the quick reply. We installed the fans ourselves.

One of the fans is this one: Proton Satin Steel Ceiling Fan with 52" Black Blades | Dan's Fan City
One of the other fans is this one: Bimini Breeze V
And the last one is this one: Hunter Discovery 48 in. Brushed Nickel Ceiling Fan-20168 at The Home Depot

I didn't find any installation instructions online. I think I can scan in the instruction booklets if you need me to.

Yes, we have fan-rated boxes. There is not room for 10 to 24 screws on the mounting brackets. Or did you mean 10-24 as in the size of the screws?

As for the rubber washers, are you talking about a rubber washer on each screw from the mouting bracket to the fan box? The hunter fan has rubber washers on the fan blades/fan arms.

Thanks,
Karen

Old 11-21-13, 01:51 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
#10 screws - 24 threads per inch. Usually two into the box.
are you talking about a rubber washer on each screw from the mouting bracket to the fan box?
Yes.

Old 11-21-13, 03:22 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
One of the fans is this one: Proton Satin Steel Ceiling Fan with 52" Black Blades | Dan's Fan City
One of the other fans is this one: Bimini Breeze V
And the last one is this one: Hunter Discovery 48 in. Brushed Nickel Ceiling Fan-20168 at The Home Depot

I didn't find any installation instructions online.
Yeah, well, Dan's Fan City can't be bothered to post useful information online, so that knocks out the first two.

Home Depot has a link to installation instructions, but it's just to a one-page version of Hunter's same old screw-it-to-the-framing instructions that come with all of their lower-cost Model 2 fans, so that's no help either. Going to the Hunter page for the Discovery fan gets a link to better instructions, but they're still about mounting the bracket to framing. Oh, and a video (Woo, hoo!) that's also about... wait for it... screwing the bracket to the framing.

All three are humming? Do you think you might have overtightened some of the hardware and slightly warped it? Did you mount the Hunter to the framing or the box?