Ceilling + wall lighting conection

Old 11-19-13, 08:09 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ceilling + wall lighting conection

Hello all

This is my first post here and should not be my last.

In my bathroom i have a light on the ceiling and i have added on the wall another lamp. The lamp on the wall is installed just next to the wall switch so all the electrical is all there. Now in the electrical box here is what i got. This is a 2 gang electrical box because in this box there is the light dimmer + there is also the timer for the exhaust fan. Just before i go any further all of my lights are all Del dimmable lights. Now in the 2 gang box here is how the electrical goes. In the box i got from the back got 2 white tied together + 1 red going to dimmer red then i got 2 blacks 1 going to fan control + the other black they go to again fan control + light dimmer.

I have tried a few things to try to make my wall light work with the dimmer switch but was not successful ether the wall light was working well and the ceiling light was very low in voltage witch was not good, now i got the power up perfect but i can on control my ceiling light and not my wall light.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-13, 09:27 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 30 Votes on 26 Posts
Welcome,

The white from the new light gets spliced to the white bundle. The black from the new fixture splices to the switched black on the dimmer. If the light does not dim, switch the black to the other lead on the dimmer.

Old 11-19-13, 11:01 AM
Thanks for the reply

I am not to good in english so what do you mean exactly by splice. Do you mean send the white from new fixture to white bundle. I was also thinking of putting a 3 way dimmer

Old 11-19-13, 11:15 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Do you mean send the white from new fixture to white bundle.
Yes, splice means to connect. In this case there should be a wire nut on the white wires. You would remove it, add the white wire,and put the wire nut back on.

I was also thinking of putting a 3 way dimmer
A 3-way is only used if you have switches in two different locations controlling the same light.

Old 11-19-13, 12:11 PM
Case closed

You ever heard of the song Finally Well i have done it. Everything is working fine wow i am an electrician. No but this one was hard for me usually they are simple to do but this one for me was hard.

Many thanks to you

Case closed

Last edited by metroke; 11-19-13 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Forgot something
Old 11-19-13, 12:39 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Excellent! Thanks for letting us know it worked.