Repair or replace?

Old 11-21-13, 11:43 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Repair or replace?

I have a problem with an outside motion controlled floodlight. It is a Heath-Zenith
light with two bulbs, that has functioned fine for about four years.
Last week, I noticed one of the bulbs had burned out. I replaced the bulb, only to have it burn out within a day. I replaced that replacement bulb, and it burned out/stopped lighting, also within a day.
(I did test each of the replacement bulbs before I installed them, and each one worked. After I removed them, I tested them again, and they did not work.)
The other bulb in the fixture continues to work as always.

I inspected the socket where the bulbs had burned out, and it looked "normal". At this point, I'm preparing to replace the entire fixture. Before I do that, is there anything else I should look at, with an eye towards "repair rather than replace"?
Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-13, 11:53 AM
If the two replacement bulbs came out of one package they may both have been faulty to begin with. I'd try at least one more bulb. Make sure it is within the rated capacity of the lampholder and be sure you don't touch it with bare skin when you're installing it.

Old 11-22-13, 12:58 PM
Thanks, Nash, I hadn't thought that maybe both bulbs were defective. I replaced the second bulb with one from a different box, in fact a different brand. When I covered the sensor, the new bulb went on. I'll be checking on it after dark, and report beck over the weekend. Thanks again.

Old 11-23-13, 11:41 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
My personal opinion...

Any outdoor motion light you find at box stores which isn't LED is junk. If it gives you too much attitude, toss it and grab another for $30.
Or buy some quality outdoor lights and run them off of a photocell. Photocells are cheap to replace when they crap out.