Faulty motion sensor light or faulty electrical?

Old 11-21-13, 09:59 PM
V
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Faulty motion sensor light or faulty electrical?

I installed an LED motion sensor light that replaced an old one a few months ago. Within the past month, the light would stay on without turning off and this would happen whether it was dark or light out. I thought that it switched to dawn/dusk mode and I flicked the breaker on and off to try to switch it back to auto sensor mode (this worked when this problem happened when it was first installed). Turning it off and on did not help. If I fiddled with the timer switch to "test" it would sometimes turn off, but at night or in the morning it would just go back to being on all the time. Then this morning, the light was completely off and the sensor wasn't working at all (the sensor has a red dot that flashes on when it senses movement, even in the day time) I was worried that maybe the wire caps came loose or something during installation so after work I unscrewed the assembly to check. Before I took the light down though I twisted the timer switch and the light got stuck on "on" mode again even though it was bright out.

Now's the part that's kinda worrying me. I flick the breaker back on and the light still doesn't work. Sensor light won't go off in test mode. Nothing. I have one of those voltage tester pens that check if there's power running, and when I tested the light, there was no power. There are two other regular lights under the same garage eave and they also had no power running through the socket. What could cause this? Can the sensor light somehow be breaking the current? The light was on just before I started to take it down.

I know this was a long story, but just wanted the details to be out there.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-13, 10:15 PM
Group Moderator
Received 589 Votes on 554 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

The newly installed motion light shouldn't have an effect on the standard non motion lights that are there.

It sounds like you may be using a RAB 2000 motion sensor. That sensor goes into a 15 minute test pattern every time you disconnect and reconnect power. For 15 minutes it will work in the daylight so that you can test it. After 15 minutes the red light should go on when it senses movement but the lights should not.

There should be 3 variable controls on the bottom. The first one is on time, the second is sensitivity and the third is daylight sensor. Usually I run the sensitivity and the daylight sensor all the way up. The time you can set as required.

If it's not the RAB unit....let us know what it is.

Old 11-22-13, 05:33 PM
V
I should say that the light was working properly for about 7 months or so and only within the past month did it start bugging out. The light is actually an All-Pro by Cooper Lighting. It has two controls, one for time and the other for sensitivity.

I'm aware of the light turning on during the day when in "test" mode, but this is something else. It just stays on all day and night on its own.

And now there is no power running through the wires. The previous homeowner had a strange wiring set up to the old motion light. When I took down the old sensor, there were 3 wires capped by the wire nut instead of the usual two for each of the black and white wires of the light. So like black/black/black & black/white/white or something like that. I don't know what this extra wire was for but I just copied the same set up and it seemed ok.

When I took the light down yesterday my father-in-law must of taken a look at the light too, because I noticed that the lights wires were now black to black, white to white, and and extra black to black that did not connect to the back of the light were now just tied to each other. Could this explain the power being inconsistent?

Old 11-22-13, 06:04 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Black to black to black is not that unexpected. It would most likely be Line-Load-Load.

Old 11-22-13, 09:34 PM
V
So what would happen if the Line-Load-Load was altered to be as how I saw it changed? The two extra black wires coming from the house side are now just tied to each other.

The voltage detector detects no power running through any of the outside garage lights anymore. But there must of been some power coming through sometimes because the light was on a few days ago.

Old 11-22-13, 10:03 PM
Group Moderator
Received 589 Votes on 554 Posts
No matter how it was altered..... if there is no power there then it's not getting there and you'll have to trace back and find out where the power comes from..... possibly a forgotten switch.

Old 11-23-13, 05:55 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
So what would happen if the Line-Load-Load was altered to be as how I saw
If a load was not connected one of the down stream lights wouldn't work. If line wasn't connected then neither that light or any downstream would work.

now black to black, white to white, and and extra black to black that did not connect to the back of the light were now just tied to each other. Could this explain the power being inconsistent?
No. It would explain power not being present at one or more lights.