Improving closet lighting

Old 11-22-13, 06:53 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Improving closet lighting

Hi all,

I have a very large walk in closet that I am remodeling as an anniversary present for my wife. Part of this work is removing all the cheap wire shelving with custom built shelves and storage. As part of building that storage, I would like to put in under cabinet lights as well as LED rope lighting tucked away above the shelving to project light up.

Presently, there is a very cheap, builder's grade 4' 4 bulb fluorescent fixture which is connected to a switch just outside the closet door. The fixture is mounted dead-center in the middle of the closet which is about 12'x8'.

My question is: what are my options for using the existing fixture to power my lighting needs? I plan to use all LED fixtures so the power draw should be relatively low. I've done track lighting before but this would require power from the fixture all the way down to at least 1 wall to connect to the lighting system. Is this safe/wise or should I have an electrician move the fixture? If the former, can you suggest some products I can use to make this as effective as possible?

Thanks in advance.

--Matt

Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-13, 07:10 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 63 Votes on 55 Posts
Matt, the NEC has some rather strict clearance requirements from storage areas and lighting fixtures as well as only allowing certain types of fixtures. The code wants to prevent combusibles like clothes from contacting a hot bulb and causing a fire. Article 410 will have these requirements.