Help with Garage Lighting (outside).

Old 11-23-13, 04:12 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help with Garage Lighting (outside).

Hi all, need some help on troubleshooting a lighting issue with my garage lights. The two lights are on the outside and are on either side of my double garage door. I just bought this house in the summer and I remembered them being on before and never really paid much attention to them. But now it's pretty much winter now and gets dark early and now I noticed no matter what switch whether in the house or in the garage I can't get them to turn on again. I switched out the two bulbs but still nothing. The garage also has a light outside at the back. I am guessing that normally the two front ones would also be wired to the same switch as the one in the back, am I correct on this, since there are only two switches inside the garage for lights? The garage is detached from the house. The garage is also completely insulated. So I am stuck as to what to check for next.

Please help

Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-13, 04:44 PM
You took the first step and checked the bulbs. Now , check if there a GFCI recpetacle in the garage that may have tripped .

The garage also has a light outside at the back. I am guessing that normally the two front ones would also be wired to the same switch as the one in the back, am I correct on this, since there are only two switches inside the garage for lights?
Logic might say so but you never know. Does this light have a motion sensor ?

Old 11-23-13, 06:15 PM
As far as I can tell no it has no motion sensor. They are just normal lamps encased in glass and metal and use just normal bulbs. I will look around in the garage for a gfci receptacle, but I don't remember seeing one in there. In the garage there are only two switches, one for all the lights inside the garage and the other one if switched on only lights up the back of the garage and a small portion of my yard, which doesn't make much sense to me, so I am guessing that same switch turns on the front two lights as well.

Old 11-24-13, 12:09 AM
Group Moderator
Received 516 Votes on 486 Posts
You may have to remove one of the lights and actually check for power to rule out defective light sockets.

You said there are two switches..... one in the house and one in the garage that control the lights in question. You may have to pull out the switches to check the wiring on them. Possibly one has a wire that broke off or one of the three way switches is defective.

When/if you pull out the switches..... be sure to identify the wiring especially the wire that is on the dark colored screw on the switch. All three way switches have a dark colored screw and that wire must always be put back there.

Old 11-24-13, 07:30 AM
I have two switches inside the garage for lights. One is for the lights inside the garage and the other only turns on one light which is attached to the back of the garage. The second light switch does not make sense to me, because it only controls the back light, which leads me to believe that it's suppose to turn on the front two as well. Those are the two that aren't working.

But thanks for the reply I will check what you suggested.

Old 11-24-13, 12:10 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Are the switches you're checking 3-way switches or on/off switches? Do any of them now appear to do nothing?

Old 11-24-13, 01:18 PM
They are both on/off switches. There are only to switches in the garage. These two switches are right beside each other. One turns on/off the inside lights and the other as of right now only operates a light which is attached the back of the garage. I am thinking the latter switch is also supposed to operate the the lights at the front as well.

Also I checked for all receptacles in the garage and none of them are gfci receptacles.