100W CFL Recessed light bulb blows up after 2-3 hrs

Old 11-24-13, 07:28 AM
100W CFL Recessed light bulb blows up after 2-3 hrs

Hi,
I have installed 4 recessed lights in my living room. There was an existing electric point in the ceiling for a light fixture which I replaced and used it for the 4 recessed lights. This circuit is a 15 Amp and is shared with few other lights(not a hevy load).

Now I am using 100 Watt CFL bulbs in each of these 4 recessed lights and these bulbs were purchased just yesterday. Also each 100W CFL bulb draws only 23W, so in total, these 4 recessed lights draw a total of 92 Watts but give out light equivalent of 400W.

Now what is happening is that after the lights are on for 2-3 hours, one of the 100W bulbs blew up. So I replaced it with a 60W CFL bulb (which draws only 14W of power). Next day, another 100W CFL bulb in another recessed can also blew up but this time I didnt replace it as I had no other bulbs. Rest of the 3 bulbs continued to work. Next day, I turn on the lights and the 100W bulb that had blown up but not replaced, was working. So esentially the bulb didnt blow up, it somehow got tripped.

So now I am confused, is this a bulb issue or something wrong with the connections or I am adding extra load to the circuit (which should not be the case as each recessed can is only drawing 23 W). There is no insulation above the cans and I doubt the cans would be getting hot. So I am not sure why the thermal fuse in the can trips and turns off the bulb and next morning it automatically turns on. Please note the entire circuit didnt trip and the other bulbs continue to work.

Any ideas/suggestions please.

Thank you for your time.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-13, 08:23 AM
Group Moderator
So it doesn't really blow it just ceases to work?

Old 11-24-13, 11:18 AM
Welcome to the forums!

I am using 100 Watt CFL bulbs in each of these 4 recessed lights and these bulbs were purchased just yesterday. Also each 100W CFL bulb draws only 23W, so in total, these 4 recessed lights draw a total of 92 Watts but give out light equivalent of 400W.
Those are 23W lamps, not 100W.

There was an existing electric point in the ceiling for a light fixture which I replaced and used it for the 4 recessed lights.
What is the make, model and maximum wattage of the recessed fixtures you installed? Have you checked the connections at each fixture?

Old 11-24-13, 11:45 AM
Super Moderator
Are the bulbs rated for use base up if they are installed that way? I know I had some issues using them base up in a couple of fixtures. That was a few years back, maybe they are all ok for that now?

Just looked at the ones I have in the house, can't find any markings but I know I remember seeing some marked base down or horizontal use only.

Old 11-24-13, 11:47 AM
Also, the packaging may also say those lamps --- when used in an indoor enclosed or recessed fixture could result in reduced life.
It's a common failure for the base of CFL's to burn or scorch when they fail --- and remember not all brands are the same quality.