another question about outdoor floodlight installation (new box, new switch)

Old 11-24-13, 07:43 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
another question about outdoor floodlight installation (new box, new switch)

Thanks again for the great info in my last thread.

Here's a few more questions:

1) Is there any way to know if this box Arlington 8131-1 Vertical Siding Lamp Mounting Kit with Built-in Box for 1/4 Inch and 5/16 Inch Vertical Siding LAP - Amazon.com will hold this light???

Heath Zenith SL-5514-WH 110-Degree Motion-Sensing Halogen Security Light, White - Amazon.com

2) If that Arlington box will work, and all I have to do is drill a hole for the wiring, won't I also have to drill that hole large enough so I can then stick a drill bit up through that hole to drill in to the top plate? (I realize the basement is an option, but it looks like the wiring from the switch comes up to the attic).

3) Assuming I drill a hole through the wall outside and the top plate, what would be the best way to fish the wire down to the hole outside? I have one of those flexible telescopic rods that you screw together as you move it up the wall, will that work?

4) Would it be at all possible to drill through the top plate from the attic instead? A quick glance looks like the trusses would be in the way, but I am a total rookie on this, so any info would be great.

5) To give each switch (the current one and the new one) it's own power source, I would need to pigtail the hot wire from the breaker box. I will watch some more videos to understand this better, but what type of wire would I buy to make the pig tail? I've searched online but...could I just take a couple six inch pieces of romex and remove all of the other wires except for the black?

6)If I understand right, I would pig tail the hot wires as described above, the three white wires I would join together with a wire nut, and the grounds I would bring all three together with a wire nut and create a pigtail, screwing it into the green screws on the switches. Am I anywhere in the ballpark on this? This is what I gather from about an hour of research, but I will be sure to do my homework before doing the wiring.

Sorry for any dumb questions, thank you for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-13, 10:46 AM
Anyone? Thank you.

I would like to begin on this project soon, so I want to make sure I have a good idea of how to do it before I begin.

Old 11-26-13, 11:24 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Boxes are standard. Fixtures are standard. Yes it will fit.

Can you drill down from above? What is on the other side of the outside wall?

Old 11-26-13, 02:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 40 Votes on 35 Posts
The pigtails can be made from extra conductors out of the cable.

Properly secured to the substrate under the siding that box will support your fixture.

How to route the cables depends on your framing and accessibility.

Old 11-26-13, 07:09 PM
a bedroom....it is a wood frame house....vinyl siding and drywall

Old 11-26-13, 07:22 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
You should be able to remove some vinyl siding cut a hole, drill up, patch hole, replace vinyl.