Ceiling fan light switch

Old 11-26-13, 06:31 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ceiling fan light switch

I am stumped on a minor electrical fix: I bought my house over a year ago and have replaced the majority of ceiling fan switches and light switches in the house (Some were not working when we bought it and some have broken since we bought it). All has gone well except when I came to our bedroom's. It is a two wire light switch which I spliced and installed a new one in but for whatever reason the lights still will not come on. So I pulled out my electrical tester and made sure that there was current coming from the blue hot switch of the fan, that it continued through the connector and splice and then to the switch. However, there was no current on the other side of the switch therefore not completing a circuit back. My immediate thought would be that it is the switch, even though it is new (which is not a big deal to pick up) but I want to make sure that I am not overlooking something. I am a new home owner and learning many things as I go, but I need some help with this one. Thanks ahead of time for your help! I look forward to your answers

Jbradchevy

Old 11-26-13, 06:49 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums! If you have current at one screw head and not the other with the switch "on", it is an indicator of a bad switch.

Old 11-26-13, 06:53 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
Are you asking about a wall switch or the switch in the canopy of the fan?

Old 11-26-13, 06:57 AM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
pcboss, sorry for the confusion. The switch I am talking about is the light switch in a ceiling fan.

Jbradchevy

Old 11-26-13, 07:14 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
So I pulled out my electrical tester
If you mean non contact tester they are not reliable enough to use for troubleshooting. You need to use a test light or a multimeter, preferably analog. Wire nut the two wires together and see if the light works.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: