Outdoor Motion Sensor

Old 11-27-13, 08:57 AM
Received 33 Votes on 30 Posts
Outdoor Motion Sensor

Good morning and happy holidays,
I quick question. I've enjoyed switching to CFLs and now LED outside lights so that I can avoid the frequent bulb replacement issues for hard to get to lights, plus the energy savings. Now I need to address the frequent replacement issues with the motion sensors themselves. I'm getting less than a year out of them before they start to do strange things. Current one is now staying on full brightness through most of the day. It should turn off with daylight and even at night it should either cycle off or switch to the lower intensity.

When new, they work fine. This one is a dual brightness unit, but the two previous ones were just day/night and motion. They are set to stay on about 10 minutes after being triggered. The two previous failures would either not turn on or again just stayed on. These are under the overhang so not exposed to direct rain.

Is there a better brand outdoor sensor I can buy other than the standard big box offering?

Bud

Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-13, 09:11 AM
Group Moderator
Received 319 Votes on 293 Posts
I hope somebody posts with a quality brand because I'm having the same problem. I have three 12 year old motion lights still going strong but other, more modern ones have a very short life. The latest is a 6 month old LED Utilitech that stays on dusk to dawn regardless of motion and sensitivity settings.

Old 11-27-13, 06:23 PM
Group Moderator
Received 521 Votes on 491 Posts
I only use the RAB line of motion sensing controls. Out of 50 I've installed I've had one go bad. They work well and are very reliable. I predominantly use the Stealth 200 sensor. Their kits are good too.

RAB Lighting - outdoor motion sensing products.

Last edited by PJmax; 11-28-13 at 09:38 AM. Reason: fix typo
Old 11-28-13, 08:50 AM
Received 33 Votes on 30 Posts
Thanks PJ,
I did some searching and it confirms what you are saying. I found heads and whole light assemblies. A bit more expensive, but I expected that, just want something I can put in place and forget about it for a good number of years.

Now to see if I can find one locally.
Bud

Old 11-28-13, 09:39 AM
Group Moderator
Received 521 Votes on 491 Posts
Yes... they are absolutely more expensive. You'll find them at most electrical supply houses.

Old 11-28-13, 09:49 AM
Group Moderator
Received 319 Votes on 293 Posts
I think I'll be giving them a try as well. Thanks for the lead.