Problem with a Hampton Bay and a wall switch

Old 11-27-13, 07:54 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Problem with a Hampton Bay and a wall switch

I went to replace a ceiling fan at my kids home, ... thought it would be straight forward, ... NOT! The wires separated as I was removing the motor housing and now I have a problem. Wires from the ceiling (it's an old home) contain the original 'BX' (I think, ... black wrapped copper), ... plus a new 'Romex' from the wall switch/dimmer they have installed. The new wire has red, black and white, and the fan has blue, black and white. My son wants to be able to use the wall switch to control the lights, ... and the fan (as far as an off/on operation). Not sure of the proper connections to get this done, as far as the connections from the 'new' versus the old. I know they all have to be connected, ... and he has no expectations of running the fan speed by his wall mounted 'dimmer', ... just wants to be able to power it off. The lights on the other hand he DOES want to be able to control. The 'red' wire is throwing me off, ... and need to know how to finish off the circuit with the old and the new, if one has an idea of what I mean. Thanks for all the help ahead of time, ... and hope all have a safe "Thanksgiving" holiday.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-13, 09:01 PM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Can't tell you for sure till we know the wires at the switches but it is probably a switch loop with black of BX to white of the 3-conductor and white of the BX to the white of the fan. 3-conductor red to blue and 3-conductor black to fan black.

Edit: My instructions refer only to using two separate SPST switches. See Nash's post for electronic switching.

Last edited by ray2047; 11-28-13 at 08:12 AM.
Old 11-27-13, 09:17 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Welcome to the forums!

It sounds like this is a switch loop, where the feed circuit from the panel comes into the ceiling box and goes from there to the switch and back. Is the 3-conductor cable from the ceiling box the only cable in the switch box?

If it is, and you have a dual-control wall control such as the Hunter All-Fan/Light Dual Slide Control that requires separate wires for the fan motor and light controls, mark both ends of the white wire in that cable with a bit of electrical tape or a permanent marker in any color except gray or green to show that it is carrying ungrounded power. In the ceiling box, splice that redesignated white wire to the incoming black wire. Splice all the ground wires together and bond the metal, fan-rated box to the grounds. Splice the fan's white wire to the incoming white wire. Splice the fan's black wire to the black wire from the switch. Splice the fan's blue wire to the red wire from the switch. Mount the fan.

In the switch box, connect the ground wire to the box, if it's metal, and to the switch. Connect the redesignated white wire to the input terminal on the control. Connect the black wire to the output terminal for the fan motor control. Connect the red wire to the output terminal for the light control.

If you have an all-in-one fan motor and light control such as the Hunter All Fan/Light Wall Mount Control that does not require a third wire between the wall control and the fan/light combo, do not redesignate the white wire in the cable to the switch. Leave it white.

Splice all of the white wires together in the ceiling, splice the black wires in the two cables together, and follow the instructions that came with the control to connect the fan's black and blue wires and the red wire in the cable from the switch together.

In the switch box, cap the white wire off. Terminate the black to the input and the red to the output on the control.

a new 'Romex' from the wall switch/dimmer they have installed... he has no expectations of running the fan speed by his wall mounted 'dimmer', ... just wants to be able to power it off. The lights on the other hand he DOES want to be able to control.
Tech note: The fan motor needs a fan speed control at the wall - not an on/off switch and definitely not a dimmer. A dimmer for the lights is fine.

The two controls linked above are both designed, built and U.L. Listed for fan motor control.