Pot Lights in a crawl space

Old 11-29-13, 05:30 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pot Lights in a crawl space

Hi Folks,

I first want to clarify what I mean by crawl-space. This is the area under my basement landing, and is enclosed in the finished area of the house. Different from the usage of that term that I've heard south of the border.

That being said, I'm currently framing my crawlspace (about 8x5 feet) as a play room/hideout for my son. I would like to add lighting that is not going to generate a lot of heat, and I would like something recessed to preserve as much headroom as possible. I've been recommended to install LED pot-lights.

My question is, how many should I install, and what sizes should I go with? The area is about 5 x 8 feet, but part of that is under a stair incline, so the flat area of the ceiling is actually an L shape. The ceiling is about 4 feet high. I was thinking 2 would do the trick, but I have no idea how much light they would cast down being so close to the floor. Because of this should I be looking at larger sizes 5 or 6 inches?

Any info is greatly appreciated.

YukonJoe

Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-13, 06:21 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Only you can determine how much light you think you need, but installing 4 to 6" can lights with LED bulb trims is a nice way to go with no heat, and they are dimmable if you should want that feature. CHeap? NO, but a good investment.

Old 11-29-13, 07:54 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Every recessed fixture comes with information showing how much light it wil supply over what area at varying distances. Visit your favorite lighting supply center and ask for copies on that information for the ones that interest you.

Because of this should I be looking at larger sizes 5 or 6 inches?
In general, a wider aperture fixture will cover more area at an equal distance than a narrower fixture will.

Old 11-30-13, 05:02 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Okay, so I should def hop over to homedepot to see the specs. Are the specs on the box, because its usually hard to find somebody to ask for a copy...I constantly get the "Its not my row" bit

Old 11-30-13, 05:39 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 139 Votes on 124 Posts
You might want to go to a lighting store [often connected to an electrical supply house] to get your info. They'll be a lot more helpful than a big box employee and have a better selection. Once you know what will work best you can compare prices and buy where it makes the most sense.

Old 12-09-13, 06:16 AM
Received 18 Votes on 18 Posts
Hi, you can also check the different mfgs. online most of them give their specs. Lightolier does for sure.