3-way Bathroom Fan Wiring Help

Old 11-30-13, 01:11 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
3-way Bathroom Fan Wiring Help

I recently purchased a Legrand adorne SensaSwitch for my bathroom ceiling fan switch. The other switch is in the living room.

My problem is that my wiring (new condo) does not match the instructions and I can't figure out why it isn't working.

The wiring at both switches is the same - black (common), red and white. There is no ground on either, and no other wires.

However, the box in the bathroom has a ton of wires packed into the back including six white wires (5 connect with wire nut), six black wires (connected with wire nut) and six ground coppers (connected with nut, two to box ground).

I don't really want to mess with that jumble in the back...but I'm guessing I have to? Here is a diagram of the boxes:

NOTE: I changed the 1 pole light switch too and it works fine
NOTE2: The two green wires in the photo are the grounds for the switch frame and the fan switch

Old Switches:

On the new switch, I've connect the black to HOT, the white to WHITE, the red to 3WAY and the ground to the copper ground bundle.

Thanks!

If it will make things easier, I do NOT need the 3-way function. I only need the bathroom switch as I never use the living room one.

Last edited by Asmegin; 11-30-13 at 01:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-13, 01:35 PM
Received 17 Votes on 17 Posts
You won't be able to use it as 3 way, remove the blk,red,white in the 3 wire cable and cap them off then us the black wire that is on the dark screw on the existing 3way put that on one terminal of your new switch and take a pigtail (short piece of black wire) from the group of black wires in the box. If you don't want to mess with that splice you maybe able to get enough slack from the abandon black in the 3 wire cable to use to feed the other terminal on your new switch.
I hope this makes sense it's really quite easy, make sure to shut the circuit OFF first

Last edited by Geochurchi; 11-30-13 at 02:55 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 11-30-13, 01:53 PM
Group Moderator
Received 370 Votes on 347 Posts
Keep it a single switch application otherwise you are required to buy a slave remote control switch.

Cap off the red and white currently on the three way switch in the bathroom. The black wire left on the switch goes to your load connection on the new timer.

You will remove the black wire from the black splice that currently goes to the second switch. Just cap it off..... don't cut it. Add a jumper of black to the black splice point and that will be the line for the new timer.

Name:  Xztabo1.jpg
Views: 17026
Size:  44.4 KB

The blue marked wires get capped. The red marked wires you need.

Old 11-30-13, 02:52 PM
Thanks guys! I think I understand everything, but won't be able to test it until tomorrow as I have to buy some wire for the jumper.

The new timer has 4 inputs - hot, white, 1pole and 3way. If I understand correctly, the HOT on the old switch goes to HOT on the new one, and the new jumper goes from the black splice to the 1POLE of the new one?

The 3 way wires in the bathroom all get capped together and I leave the second switch wires alone?

Correct?

Old 11-30-13, 03:54 PM
Group Moderator
The non-used wiring to the three way switch gets capped off individually.
The second switch wiring is not changed.

Old 12-01-13, 02:25 PM
Okay, I tried but I still can't get it working

Here is how it's setup now:

EDIT: The timer and the switch frame are both grounded to the ground splice.

Old 12-01-13, 03:31 PM
Group Moderator
I don't know if it makes a difference but your hot connection is the splice of black wires.
The black wire all by itself is the load wire.

Your picture shows them backwards.

Old 12-01-13, 04:37 PM
You are a genius!! That was the problem

Also using my newfound electrical skills, I figured I could add a pigtail from the white wire splice to get the LEDs working on the timer...and it worked

Old 12-01-13, 11:04 PM
Group Moderator
You did all the work...... good job