How to remove canopy of fan when mounted close to ceiling?

Old 12-05-13, 01:51 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to remove canopy of fan when mounted close to ceiling?

I like to remove the canopy from a Hampton Bay AC552 ceiling fan. However, it doesnt have the long downrod that the canopy would slide down. In fact there is no downrod, its mounted close to the ceiling. The tip of the canopy and the top base of the fan are touching.

If I remove the trim ring around the canopy then loosen the two screws on the canopy in order to twist it then the whole fan will come down im thinking.

Any idea?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-13, 01:58 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 40 Votes on 35 Posts
The fan motor should be securely mounted to the bracket on the ceiling. The trim canopy should have 2 screws next to each other near the ceiling. One needs to be removed, while the other gets loosened and the canopy twisted to drop it. There should be 2 sets of these screw pairs.

Old 12-05-13, 02:31 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Interesting. The only instructions I could find didn't include flush mounting. Are you sure about the make and model?

Why so you want to lower the canopy?

Old 12-05-13, 03:11 PM
Hi- You found instructions for this fan? I couldnt, can you post the link?

Usually they come with a standard size downrod and a small, nipple sized downrod for close to ceiling mounting, I assume thats what it is.

Also that model number seems to be a universal model that has been produced many years... mine says its from 2012 but I saw online mention of ones from the 90's.

I want to check out the wire connections without having to remove the fan from the box/ceiling...

Old 12-05-13, 06:09 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
You found instructions for this fan? I couldnt, can you post the link?
What I found was a pdf that says MODEL# Y52YH5-06 on the cover page. That's why I asked you to verify the make and model of your fan. What I found is at edoqs.com/download/124b3670607c4de720dc9e8abf1bae61‎.

Usually they come with a standard size downrod and a small, nipple sized downrod for close to ceiling mounting, I assume thats what it is.
These instructions talk about a 4" downrod plus a 6" one in thr box that you can change out. There's no mention of a flush mount. That's what's confusing me.

Also that model number seems to be a universal model that has been produced many years... mine says its from 2012 but I saw online mention of ones from the 90's.
And it also says Hampton Bay Model #AC 552?

I want to check out the wire connections without having to remove the fan from the box/ceiling...
OK, why? You'll probably have to remove the light kit and blades, at a minimum.

Old 12-31-13, 05:12 PM
Thought I would bump this thread in case someone knows how to remove a canopy when the fan is mounted in a more flush mount style.

There is no downrod that the canopy would slide down.

However, the standard screws (one slotted) are on the canopy to remove it!

Old 12-31-13, 06:03 PM
Group Moderator
Received 519 Votes on 489 Posts
On a flush mount...... there is no canopy to remove. You'll need to remove the entire fan.
There are three screws. Two are in a keyhole type slot and one is in a hole. The two screws in the keyholes get loosened while the screw in the hole gets removed. Turn the fan approx 1/2" until the two screws clear the keyhole.

Old 12-31-13, 06:18 PM
Thanks. Technically there is a canopy.... but as you say removing the screws will bring the the fan down.

So the weight of the fan is supported by the screws in the canopy, not the ceiling box.???

Old 01-03-14, 11:02 AM
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
If the body of the fan is attached to the canopy with a nipple, then the entire assembly is treated as a flush mount.

This canopy is fully strong enough to support the fan using the 3 screws that hold it to the ceiling box.

To reduce the weight of the fan that your hands have to hold when removing the main fan unit, you need to disassemble the blades and light unit first.

Old 01-03-14, 01:45 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 40 Votes on 35 Posts
The canopy is just a finish trim to cover the motor. There is a mounting bracket connected to the box that supports the fan.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ceil...ih=713&dpr=0.9