motion light bulbs?

Old 12-05-13, 02:42 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
motion light bulbs?

So I have a hardwired motion light in front of my home. I tried replacing the standard bulb with a cfl but it blew soon after plus they take too long to warm up. So today I tried using two different led bulbs one 7w and one 10w. One light just blinked and the ither was dim. But when I put them in my ceiling fan and ither light fixtures in my home, they work great. Why is this and is there a good alternative for my motion light?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-13, 03:22 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
The motion detector may not have a neutral. That means the motion detector constantly draws a small current through the bulb to operate. They will work with incandescent but not LEDS. If you have multiple lamp holders on one motion sensor you can try using an incandescent bulb in one and LEDs in the rest otherwise you need to switch to a motion sensor (and photocell) that have a neutral.

Old 12-05-13, 05:46 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Why is this and is there a good alternative for my motion light?
Ray explained why. Before changing out the controls you can try a halogen bulb. Because a halogen is just another form of incandescent they will sometimes work where CFLs and LEDs won't.

Old 12-05-13, 07:31 PM
Are halogens more efficient?

Old 12-05-13, 07:43 PM
Group Moderator
Received 376 Votes on 353 Posts
More efficient than what..... LED or CFL ? No.
But if these are motion lights how much will they be on.

Old 12-05-13, 10:03 PM
I recently did a troubleshoot for a friend who has a pair of 500W halogens flanking the sliding doors leading in from her deck. Each is on its own photocell/motion detector. They're programmed to stay on for one minute after being triggered.

My friend is a retired schoolteacher. She's not sending the power company a fat check every month.

Old 12-06-13, 06:52 AM
They are on a lot at night. Theres a tree and flag near ti so it tends to go off a lot as its really windy here. Its one of those lantern looking ones nest to the front door.

Old 12-06-13, 09:44 AM
Some sensors do that even though one reason they see IR is to help limit the triggering to movement by warm bodies.

I would cut the ON time down and dial the sensitivity back. It sounds like it's seeing more than it needs to.