Basic Question From A Total Newb

Old 12-06-13, 10:00 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Basic Question From A Total Newb

Hey folks, I'm trying to put in two ceiling fans hanging from a beam in my high-ceiling living room, and because it's a solid beam I'm having to run external wire-mold to the power source.

Well, I also have a vertical support beam that I'd like to run wire-mold down to a switch to turn the fans on and off, in addition to having control from the pull chains. I have lights on the fan systems as well, so to be able to turn the lights on, without the fan running is a necessity.

To get to a power source, I have to continually run the wiremold beyond the switch, further down the beam into a wall outlet.

My question is, how do I wire this up? The fans are Hunter Adirondack fans, that have a black wire, black and white wire, white wire, and then the ground.

I've attached a crude drawing of what I'm talking about. Like I said, I'm brand new at this sort of thing aside from changing out switches, never ran wire. I appreciate any and all information.Name:  Ceiling Fan Wiring.jpg
Views: 2992
Size:  24.0 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-13, 10:06 PM
Group Moderator
Received 344 Votes on 322 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

A question...... have you considered wiring the fans "always live" and using wireless remote controls. The handheld remote control units can usually be wall mounted.

Old 12-06-13, 11:39 PM
What's above the beam? Could you possibly get power from there?

Old 12-07-13, 12:04 AM
Negative on the possibility of power up around the beam. The only place I can get it is where it's run in the drawing, as that leads to a loft that is out of the way, out of sight. I really don't want to bring the wiremold down in the living room area for visual reasons.

I haven't looked at wireless controls as the fans didn't come with them, maybe I'm not aware of aftermarket accessories such as this? It would definitely be an option if it can be added.

Thanks for the quick replies!

Old 12-07-13, 05:52 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
Many wood beams in houses are purely decorative and therefore hollow. If you have access from a loft (out of the drawing area) you may be able to chase a wire down the inside of the beam. Another possibility is that you can re-trim the beam to enclose the wire either by boxing it out a little larger or installing crown trim on either side.

Old 12-08-13, 12:52 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Welcome to the forums from the Great Smokies!

I'm trying to put in two ceiling fans hanging from a beam in my high-ceiling living room... I also have a vertical support beam that I'd like to run wire-mold down to a switch to turn the fans on and off, in addition to having control from the pull chains. I have lights on the fan systems as well, so to be able to turn the lights on, without the fan running is a necessity.
The fans in my house are hardwired and run 7/24/365. The wall controls only control the light kits. This reduces both heating and cooling costs as well as making the place more comfortable. We can help you set your system up that way if you'd like.

haven't looked at wireless controls as the fans didn't come with them, maybe I'm not aware of aftermarket accessories such as this? It would definitely be an option if it can be added.
If you really want to have controls for both the fan motors and the lights, there are three options. Staying with Hunter, in part because you have Hunter Adirondack fans, and assuming you want to control both fans at once and both light kits at once, for wired controls you can mount a single wall box on the post, run two switched wires from there to your fan/light combos, and use either an

All-Fan/Light Dual Slide Control or an

All-Fan/Light Dual Slide Preset Control.

Or you can run one switched wire from there to your two fan/light combos and use an

All Fan/Light Wall Mount Control.

For wireless control, you can mount a wall box and hang a

Fan/Light remote Control for Hunter Original fans on it.

For wireless control without a wall box (handheld remote only) you can use a

Fan/Light Universal Remote Control Model 27208, a

Fan/Light Universal Remote Control Model 27209, or a

Fan/Light Universal Remote Control Model 27224.

For any of the three wired controls you only need to buy one control. For any of the four wireless controls you will need to buy two.

If you'll tell us which control option you prefer and what size (15A or 20A) circuit this will be on, we can advise you on the wiring.