Help converting recessed can into chandelier

Old 12-07-13, 01:08 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help converting recessed can into chandelier

Hello. I am looking to convert a Philips Lightolier recessed can light (not remodel) in a foyer area on a roughly 45 degree sloped ceiling into a hanging chandelier. There is no access to the can from above. There is a DIY product on the market that is supposed to convert existing recessed cans into a junction box for the hard-wired fixture...was wondering if anyone has had experience with this product? It is the Hampton Bay 1-Light White Recessed Can Light Adapter for Linear Track or Direct-Wire Use sold at HD. My existing can is a Lightolier 1100IC. I've tried taking a close look at the can by removing the bulb and trim but can only see the top and sides of the rough-in section (box frame-in). Looking at the schematics for my model, it would appear the can frame is meant to be attached to the joists in the ceiling but I'm not 100% sure this is the case. I've looked at the converter instructions online and it appears as if the converter is attached to the existing can housing using a bracket and toggle screws that attach with clips to the existing can's 'C' clips. My concern is whether this will actually hold the new fixture? The converter is rated to support up to 25lbs and the new fixture is 16lbs and will hang about 2-3 feet. I appreciate any guidance you may be able to provide.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-13, 01:29 PM
Group Moderator
Received 378 Votes on 355 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I looked at that adapter. It looks like it would perfect for adapting the can to track lighting. As far as attaching a 16 pound light fixture...... I wouldn't. In my opinion... there just isn't enough there to support that amount of weight.

Maybe others have used it with positive results.....

Old 12-07-13, 01:38 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for your reply. I appreciate your opinion and I'm also hesitant to proceed unless, as you suggest, others have used it with positive results. I will try to contact the can's manufacturer to see if I can get a weight rating on the can itself, assuming it is anchored to both ceiling joists. I did see some customer reviews on the HD's website of people who purchased the converter, of whom at least a couple actually did hang what appear to be fairly substantial light fixtures using the converter.