How to install pendant light with an on/off switch

Old 12-08-13, 01:24 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to install pendant light with an on/off switch

I would like to install a pendant light over a small kitchen island. The walls are foamed and there is not access to electrical outlet in the area. Husband can access the attic to drop wiring to the pendant but cannot figure how to control on/off . Any suggestions on how to run an on/off feature from the hanging cord which will go to the pendant? Don't want an old fashioned chain feature draping across and down the wall to switch which is not close. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-13, 02:18 PM
Group Moderator
Received 519 Votes on 489 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

The only thing I can think of is a pendant light with an integral switch but that will limit your choice of fixtures to only a few.

Old 12-08-13, 02:37 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
You could use a wireless remote.

Old 12-08-13, 02:39 PM
Thank you for such a quick reply. I have never seen one with an integral switch but now that I know what it is called, I can ask when I go shop. Husband thought perhaps one could be installed on the drop down cord near the top of the pendant. Don't know how that would look but it was his only thought. The attic also has 4" foam, so he will have to cut through it. Not too happy after spending so much to have it installed as we already had to cut through for install of a gas fireplace and some outlets in the bath.

Old 12-08-13, 03:48 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I have never seen one with an integral switch
Integral light switches include pull chain, push-through and turn button. One example of a wireless remote control is a Socket Rocket by X10.

Old 12-08-13, 05:02 PM
Thank you for the links, I clicked on them and looked at the options and understand it better. Now I will have to make sure one of them will fit the pendant I pick. Fortunately I haven't purchased it yet.