Add light to 4 way switch light circuit

Old 12-10-13, 07:44 AM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Add light to 4 way switch light circuit

I have searched for this answer and can't seem to find anything. I have a four way switch and would like to add a light. The current configuration is this:

Power --> three way 1 --> lights --> four way --> three way 2

I plan to add an additional four way switch between the existing four way switch and three way 2 switch. However I also want to add a light between the first and second four way switches like this:

Power --> three way 1 --> lights --> four way 1 --> light --> four way 2 --> three way 2

First, is this possible to do?
Second, can someone help me with a wiring diagram?

Thanks

Last edited by ray2047; 12-10-13 at 08:31 AM.
Old 12-10-13, 08:40 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
To avoid confusion I have deleted your duplicate post.

The easiest way to add another light is to run a 2-conductor cable from the existing light to the new light.

You diagrammed:
Power --> three way 1 --> lights --> four way 1 --> light --> four way 2 --> three way 2

Add your new 4-way between the two existing four ways. **Do not put the new light between them (the new light is connected to the existing light.)** Abandon the cable between the two existing 4-ways and run two new 3-conductor cables from the new 4-way. One cable to each existing 4-way.

Breakfast time. Diagram later if you need it.

Old 12-10-13, 08:44 AM
M
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I'm confused. Unless I
a) misread your post /diagram and/or
b) am wrong about 3 way and 4 way switches,

your initial configuration shouldn't work, because I have always thought that the configuration would have to be:

power → 3 way switch → 4 way switch→ 3 way switch → light(s).

If I am not confused/incorrect, in your current configuration, your "4 way" and "3 way 2"would have no impact on the light.(By extension, your "additional light" would only be impacted by your " 3 way switch 1"
As I said, I may be wrong, but you might want to recheck your configurations.
(I imagine that the pros will jump in later on, after work.)
Good luck with your project.

Old 12-10-13, 09:03 AM
Diagram he provide is a bit confusing. I'm assuming both the 4-way and light are connected to the first 3-way by separate cables.

Revised:
Power --> three way 1 --> four way 1 --> New 4-way--> four way 2 --> three way 2
...................|
...................|
................LIGHT

Old 12-10-13, 09:03 AM
E
Thanks, ray2047 and sorry for the duplicative posts.

I would normally just run an additional two wire cable to the light and then just add the 4 way switch. However, it will be difficult to access the wiring at the light, which is why I was going to add a new 4 way switch and light off the existing 4 way switch. So, if connecting the new light to the existing light is not an option 1) can I do this; and 2) what is the diagram to do this:

Basically, can there be lights in two different locations on the same four way switched circuit?

Thanks

Old 12-10-13, 09:19 AM
Yes but the lights must come from one of the three ways or the existing lights if they are controlled by all the 4-ways.

Old 12-10-13, 09:26 AM
E
So the lights must be either before or after a three way switch? A light cannot be between two four way switches? Can't the light be added between the 4 way switches light this:

4-way switch variations.

Old 12-10-13, 09:59 AM
Diagram three might work if you can move power in. Number 2 should also work.

Old 12-10-13, 10:16 AM
The location of the light(s) isn't relevent --- the fact is the light(s) ultimately connect to a 3-way switch. The 4-way switches do not directly connect to the light(s).

Old 12-10-13, 12:12 PM
Received 6 Upvotes on 5 Posts
can there be lights in two different locations on the same four way switched circuit?
Yes, but they must all be fed as 2-conductor chains from one location. You posted that your current setup is
Power --> three way 1 --> lights --> four way --> three way 2
Do you have wiring in cable or wiring in conduit?

Assuming you have wiring in cable, it appears from that that the 2-conductor cable feeding this circuit from the panel and the 2-conductor cable feeding the lights are both in the box where the first 3-way switch is. There is also a 3-conductor cable there that goes to the 4-way switch, and another to the second 3-way switch. The 3-conductor run may go through the light boxes but is not connected to the lights. Then, once the wiring gets to the 4-way switch there is no neutral - it only runs from the first box to the lights. It ends at the last light.

If so, you may add as many more 4-way switches as you like, foe convenience but you cannot add any lights off any of those boxes. You may add new lights by starting at any existing light or at the box where the first 3-way, the power-in cable and, most importantly, the power-out cable are all present.

Old 12-10-13, 01:05 PM
Received 6 Upvotes on 5 Posts
Can't the light be added between the 4 way switches light this:

4-way switch variations.
Look at those diagrams again. Follow the hot, unswitched power in from the panel and the hot switched power out to the light.

In each case the power is connected as we've explained: the hot power coming in from the panel is connected to the common terminal on one of the two 3-way switches and the hot power going out to the light(s) is connected to the common terminal on the other 3-way switch. Those feeds are not connected to either 4-way switch. Only the traveler wires are connected to those switches.

That's how all 3-way switch pairs work. See How Light Switches Work.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: