LED appliance bulbs?

Old 07-18-13, 09:18 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
LED appliance bulbs?

Hello all. This is my first post in this forum but I have browsed here for a while. I have a Samsung over the range microwave that I actually really like except for one thing. The lights underneath that shine down on the stove are not very bright and produce a tremendous amount of heat. It uses two standard 40w appliance bulbs and I would love to replace them with LED bulbs so that I could leave that light on without wasting so much power and making my house even hotter (no A/C).

This is the type of bulb I want to replace:
Philips 416255 Appliance 40-Watt T8 Intermediate Base Light Bulb - Amazon.com

I have searched and searched for something that would work and unless I'm missing something LED replacement appliance bulbs do not seem to exist. Does anyone know of any warm white LED bulbs that would replace that type of bulb? I have replaced all of the GU10 halogen bulbs in my kitchen with LED equivalents and am very happy with those. I even replaced the small 12v bulb in my refrigerator ice dispenser with a cool looking blue LED. I just can't imagine that no one is making a bulb that will fit in a microwave.

Old 07-18-13, 09:38 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
The only thing special about an appliance bulb is they have more supports for the filament so it can better tolerate vibration. A LED bulb does not have a delicate filament so I imagine a standard one would do well as long as it can physically fit into the space.

Old 07-18-13, 09:48 AM
N
Received 21 Upvotes on 18 Posts
If you are looking for specifically warm white, you might be out of luck unless you find a bulb with that is coated (colored).
The LED colors are created by the type of material inside them. Back in the early 2000's, a blue LED had just became affordable. White wasn't even a dream for us electronic geeks back then.

Old 07-18-13, 09:55 AM
H
I don't know a lot about bulb sizes. What type of base is an appliance bulb? "Intermediate"? Is that all I need to find?

As for warm white bulbs, all of the halogen replacements I have are warm white and the light they put out is very close to that of the halogens that they replaced.

Amazon.com: TORCHSTAR LED GU10 3200K Warm White Spotlight 110V 4W (330 Lumen - 50 Watt Equivalent) 45 Degree Beam angle: Home Improvement

I also have RGB LED's as my undercabinet lighting and they work great.

LEDwholesalers 16.4ft RGB Color Changing Kit with LED Flexible Strip, Controller with 44-button Remote and Power Supply, 2034RGB+3315+3215 - Amazon.com

I can make any color I want but I generally keep it on a warm white setting that matches the other lights. The bonus is that the power supply remembers its on/off state when power is disconnected and reapplied so they turn on and off with the wall switch because they're plugged into a switched outlet.

Old 07-18-13, 04:08 PM
Received 6 Upvotes on 5 Posts
The only thing special about an appliance bulb is they have more supports for the filament so it can better tolerate vibration.
That's true of a rough-service bulb. I think the difference for appliance bulbs is increased tolerance for heat and cold.

A LED bulb does not have a delicate filament so I imagine a standard one would do well as long as it can physically fit into the space.
The problem is that no one seems to make one.

Hi, welcome to the forums. I'm sorry not to have a better answer, but I think the only thing you're missing is the product - because we all are.

Old 07-18-13, 04:16 PM
Received 6 Upvotes on 5 Posts
I don't know a lot about bulb sizes. What type of base is an appliance bulb? "Intermediate"? Is that all I need to find?
Appliance bulbs come with a variety of bases. Intermediate screw base, or E17, is all you need to know about the base. The bulb itself is a tubular bulb ("T") that's 1" in diameter (8 X 1/8").

Old 12-14-13, 07:20 PM
S
im also looking for that same bulb. under the microwave/night light bulb

Old 12-14-13, 11:13 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,950 Upvotes on 3,543 Posts
It may be your lucky day.... I did locate this:

LED light|LED bulb lamp LED light bulbs,LED lighting supplier

Search this Thread

Ask a Question