Replacing halogen bulbs with LED, do I need to change cans?

Old 12-16-13, 12:34 AM
Replacing halogen bulbs with LED, do I need to change cans?

Hello, I have halogen recessed ceiling lights, (from previous house owner), I want to replace them for more economical LED bulbs... do I need to replace the cans to get special LED ones? or should Halogen ones work find with LED bulbs?

Side question: What about dimmers? I have Lutron dimmers that work on the halogen, will they work on LED in same cans?

They are these bulbs:

Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-13, 05:20 AM
From my experience, the LED bulbs don't like electronic transformers.

Old 12-16-13, 05:55 AM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 141
If you can find LED bulbs that will work in your fixtures you can use them as long as their wattage (the actual energy consumed) is less than the rating for the can. Whether or not you can use your dimmer will depend on the bulbs you buy. Some are dimmable so just make sure you buy the correct type.

Old 12-16-13, 08:08 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes Received: 7
If your dimmers do not work they are making LED compatible dimmers. Check the packaging to see.

Old 12-16-13, 06:22 PM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 32
Are the cans low voltage or 120 volts? You have two types of lamps there, 120 volt and 12 volt.

Old 12-17-13, 04:48 AM
Upvotes Received: 9
The lamps you have pictured are 12 volt lamps.

You could shop around for LED replacements that fit in the same sockets and that took 12 volts but I do not think your chances are good.

If you are ingenious you could take a failed lamp, remove the halogen bulb from it, and solder in a 12 volt LED assembly. But this is not for the faint hearted. The halogen bulb is pressurized and will send glass fragments all over the place if you break it.

LED elements are directional in terms of light output. A homemade LED assembly will probably take little or no advantage of the reflector built into the original lamp.

Last edited by AllanJ; 12-17-13 at 05:31 AM.