Outside light fixture turns off after 20 sec.

Old 12-20-13, 12:51 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Outside light fixture turns off after 20 sec.

I have an exterior two bulb (incandescent) light fixture (porch light) that just started turning itself off after being switched on for 20 sec. I have disconnected the inside light switch and connected its hot & load wires together and the fixture still goes off the same way. There is no timer in the circuit. Other receptacles on that circuit breaker are powering okay. Both bulbs go out at the same time. I have not removed the light fixture yet. I have repeated this 20 sec. shutoff several times. Could it be a thermal overload? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-20-13, 01:31 PM
Received 6 Upvotes on 5 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Does the fixture contain a photocell, or is it wired through a photocell?

Could it be a thermal overload?
Thermal overload protection is provided in some recessed fixtures. Is your porch light recessed or surface mounted?

Old 12-20-13, 02:48 PM
T
The light fixture is surface mounted outside, with one bulb socket pointing up and the other socket directly underneath it pointing down, enclosed in a glass housing. It is a relatively new fixture that has been working fine up until a week ago. So far, I have ruled out any problem with power from the panel, or the inside light switch. There is only one light switch. Both bulbs go out at exactly the same moment, after being powered on for 20 sec.

Old 12-20-13, 02:59 PM
T
Thank you, Thank you! It does have a photocell. I just moved to this home recently and did not know about the photocell. It just got dark outside, and "lo and behold". I appreciate your quick response, and look forward to visiting this forum often.

Old 12-20-13, 04:33 PM
Received 6 Upvotes on 5 Posts
Thank you! It does have a photocell. I just moved to this home recently and did not know about the photocell. It just got dark outside, and "lo and behold".
You're welcome. Glad you got it resolved so easily, and thanks for letting us know how it worked out.

I'd be tempted to just leave the switch on, or replace it with a timer, possibly.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: