No Power to Ballast?

Old 12-19-13, 11:48 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
No Power to Ballast?

Hi everyone,

The lights in my bathroom went out yesterday for the first time in four years(I've never had to change them since I moved into my house). They are two T5 fluorescent bulbs, which I assumed went out, I bought new ones and they were not working either. I took it apart and figured out that there is no power going to the ballast at all.

Another thing I notice is that there was no grounding coming from the wall power. The only "grounding" I saw was a green wire attached to the chassis of the light fixture and the other end with just electrical tape(maybe it's grounded somewhere else inside the wall, I still need to check).

Any reason why power would just go out like that? My fuses seem to be good, the bathroom fan works as well as the outlets in the bathroom.

I can post pictures if needed.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-13, 12:12 AM
Group Moderator
Received 506 Votes on 476 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Does the cable come directly into that fixture or do you just have a white and black wire coming in thru a hole in the back ?

How did you check for power at the ballast ? It needs to be a meter or voltage tester. One of those non contact testers is no good. You need to check hot and neutral at the same time.

If you do indeed have no power there then it would time to check the switch.

Old 12-20-13, 09:35 AM
There is a black and white cable coming from the hole behind the fixture itself. I used digital multimeter to check voltage and I'm not getting the 120 I'm supposed to(I tested another ballast in the house and it has the 120). I presume I should check the switch next.

Old 12-20-13, 09:52 AM
If you have 120 volts at the two wires connected to the ballast then the switch is good. Put new bulbs in the fixture. If it still doesn't work change the ballast. There is no real ballast test but you can feel it to see if it is too hot to touch or cold. Either could indicate a bad ballast as could black tar like substance on the ballast*.

*Applies to magnetic ballast. Do not touch a non-encapsulated electronic ballast.

Old 12-20-13, 11:12 AM
As I said earlier
I'm not getting the 120 I'm supposed to
Which is why I assume it's the switch.

Old 12-20-13, 12:47 PM
Sorry I misread your post. With breaker off remove the two wires on the switch and connect the two wires together. If the light works when you turn the breaker on it is, as you suspect, a bad switch.

Again sorry for the misread.

Old 12-20-13, 05:32 PM
Just replaced the switch, works perfectly now. Thanks everyone for your help

Old 12-20-13, 07:03 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Thanks for letting us know you got it straightened out.