Recessed Lighting

Old 12-22-13, 01:32 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Recessed Lighting

I have a few plug in type florescent recessed lights in a kitchen that I want to change to either LED or incandescent. Since the fixture is not a screw-in type base I need to change the base. Can I safely cut out the old plug in base and splice in a screw in base with the splice located within the recessed can housing? I want the installation to be safe, but I am trying to find a way around replacing the entire can housing.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-13, 01:54 PM
Group Moderator
Received 73 Votes on 65 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

You would have to take the can housing down anyway as the wires feeding the lamp are coming off a ballast. This should require replacing the entire can, but would require doing some rewiring.

I know in CAL they are ahead of the curve in banning incandescent light bulbs so I think your best bet is to go with LED. I don't believe they even allow Med. bases fixtures anymore in CAL. You should be able find an LED that will fit your socket. If you can post a picture of the socket we may be able to help. Again, the ballast would have to be removed from the circuit.

Old 12-23-13, 02:47 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the info, Tolyn. It sounds like I will have to remove the can and ballast and then splice in the new can with the screw in base. I am actually looking at putting in a screw-in LED that doubles as a music light. However, I would like to replace the rest of the florescent cans with LEDs so I will get a pic of the fixture base and post it tonight.

Thanks again!

Old 12-24-13, 08:44 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 39 Votes on 34 Posts
Unless the recessed only accepts energy efficient bulbs, I believe changing them would be a violation of Ca's Title 24 Energy Code.