i need help with lighting in a storage unit

Old 12-23-13, 08:27 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
i need help with lighting in a storage unit

Hello,
I'm renting out a storage unit so i can work on a project car, and they only provide the light bulb with no electrical outlets. I know you can get the light bulb socket adapter, and i have only been able to find (i can say i haven't looked hard enough) one that has a two prong adapter that you can also screw the light bulb in to. At that point, i figured it would make sense to get a two prong to a 3 prong adapter since everything i will be using is a 3-prong plug.

the reason i want this is so i can hook up an extension cord to a surge protector so i can use some shop lights to see what i'm working on.

so i had the light switch off, and i hooked up just a surge protector to the newly installed light bulb socket and 2 to 3 prong adapter.. as soon as i turn on the light switch it blew up the surge protector. so i then tried a shop light and it immediately burnt the light bulb out.

i'm not sure what i'm doing wrong or if i got the wrong parts? any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-13, 09:49 AM
Have you verified the light is 120 volts? Did you try plugging in a light such as a lamp that needed no 2-prong adapter? You didn't try to ground the ground tab on the grounding adapter, did you?

Old 12-23-13, 10:26 AM
I didn't try anything, I just screwed in the adapter, screwed in the light bulb, then plugged in the adapter and didn't ground it. I haven't had a chance to verify the bulb wattage or anything either, as I don't know what to look for.

In the end, I figure that it might be safer, since I don't know how reliable the wiring is in the unit, that i just get a portable generator and use that for my needs. That way I get something I know will work.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Old 12-23-13, 10:36 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
You can just look at the bulb for the voltage most likely if you don't want to climb ups and check it.

Why anything would blow up doesn't make much sense, unless it's possibly 240 or 277(?) V?

And why a surge protector...just use a multi-plug extension cord.

Old 12-23-13, 10:45 AM
I will look at it when I get off of work, however I would like to remain somewhat within the boundaries of the rules of the storage unit. They apparently don't have power outlets in those units for a reason.

As far as surge protector vs multi-plug extension - I haven't really thought of any reason other than the surge protector has a toggle switch to turn everything off/on. I guess it's just more convenient.

But for the sake of following rules, I will be getting a portable generator and just use that.

Old 12-23-13, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
If they allow gennies...would probably be the better choice. Places I've used in the past never allowed work on stuff in the unit.

A small Honda or Yamaha would probably provide all you need. I'd look at the LED work lights, a lot less juice draw than the halogen types.

Old 12-23-13, 10:59 AM
Yeah i made sure that the rental place was ok with me working on my car, just no fluids - which is already taken care of. I will be looking at different options - i like the halogen types because they do provide some heat, which is nice being i live in colorado.

Old 12-24-13, 08:48 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 32 Votes on 27 Posts
You should not attempt to make any wiring changes to a building you do not own for liability reasons. I would not want to fight the insurance company if the changes resulted in damage to either the building or everything in all the units.

Old 12-24-13, 08:50 AM
thanks for the replies.

you're right - i was thinking about it and all the reasons make sense as to why i shouldn't try to alter the existing wiring. so a generator sounds great