GFCI outlet interrupted electricity to all outlets/switches on the same line

Old 12-27-13, 05:45 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
GFCI outlet interrupted electricity to all outlets/switches on the same line

I have a GFCI outlet in my guest bathroom. The same line feeds another outlet in the same bathroom, a light fixture and a fan. From there, the line feeds my other bathroom which is in the opposite side of the home.

Last night before going to sleep I used the light and the outlet in my regular bathroom as I normally do.

When I woke up this morning and tried to turn on the light, there was no power. I went into the guest bathroom and tried to reset the GFCI but that outlet in particular worked. However, all other switches/outlets that are being fed by the same line are not receiving power.

Since I need electricity I replaced the GFCI with a regular outlet but it did not solve the problem.

Could somebody provide an insight of what could have went wrong overnight? Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-13, 06:00 PM
Sounds like a loose connection some where. You need to open all the boxes. Move any wires inserted in to the back of switches and non GFCI receptacles to the screws. (GFCI receptacles usualy use pressure plates not the springs of regular receptacles and don't need to be moved.) Check all connections on screws or under pressure plates for tightness. Remove any wire nuts, check the wire nut for corrosion or broken spring and redo the connection.

I have a GFCI outlet in my guest bathroom. The same line feeds another outlet in the same bathroom, a light fixture and a fan.
Under current code a circuit that serves two bathrooms can't be used for lights. You may want to consider running a new line when this is fixed. A second thing to consider doing is removing the lights from the load side of the GFCI. With a few exceptions it is not required and as you discovered can leave you in the dark.

Old 12-27-13, 07:40 PM
Sadly I pulled some of the wires myself and kind of know which one feeds the other. I would have one more outlet left to check the connections but the puzzling part is if a connection is loose in there it would only solve the light switch and the fan in the toile room. That wire ends there.

Into the other bath I pulled electric for an extra light fixture from another line (which now looks like it might go to the same breaker with the toilet room from the other bath). I mean, what are the odds???

Thanks, I'll go check another outlet close by (non GFCI). Maybe I don't remember well and didn't pull it from the GFCI outlet. What a day

Old 12-27-13, 08:12 PM
OK, I was wrong. Only one line ends to the light fixture and the fan in the toilet room. I just opened the outlet where I pulled electric from when I installed the fixture and fan. There's also another line hooked up that goes further, my guess into my other bath.

This is what I did sometimes last year; From the manufacturer, each outlet is built to get wired and to also pull electric further.

When I opened the outlet last year, since there was already a line going further I squeezed an additional wire under each screw. Basically two lines go further from the same outlet (besides the line that feeds the outlet. That second line feeds the light fixture and fan and my guess; the other line feeds my other bath.

I hope I explained it right.

Old 12-27-13, 08:19 PM
If I did explain it right and that is the problem (funny it worked all this time and all the wires are intact and perfectly secured, nor did I use more electricity over night); my question is, how do you pull electric from an outlet if only one wire can be pulled further and the space is already taken?

Old 12-27-13, 08:23 PM
By the way, the outlet does work (receives power), but it stopped sending it further. Maybe that part of the outlet went bad?

Do they make outlets that enable you to pull two extra wires instead of only one?

I did some reading and what I did I used two wires under each terminal screw.

Old 12-27-13, 08:38 PM
There is silence and I still have lots of chores to do. Bottom line, I do not need that outlet. I will remove it, twist and wire nut all the wires together according to their color, use tape to further secure the wire nuts and close the box with a plate. Hopefully that will solve the problem.

Old 12-27-13, 09:23 PM
Do they make outlets that enable you to pull two extra wires instead of only one?
Not sure what you mean. The pressure plates on GFCIs generally take two wires so you can install two wires from two cables on the line side and two on the load side.

I will remove it, twist and wire nut all the wires together according to their color, use tape to further secure the wire nuts and close the box with a plate.
A properly installed wire nut needs no tape.

my question is, how do you pull electric from an outlet if only one wire can be pulled further and the space is already taken?
Use a pigtail and wire nut. Connect all the wires to a pigtail (6"-8" wire same color and size) with a wire nut and pigtail to receptacle.

Old 12-27-13, 09:56 PM
Thanks so much Posternine. The outlet was the culprit. I removed it, hooked all the wires together and everything is back to working.

I use tape around the wire nuts just in case. That is just me.

Thanks for the pigtail tip. I just looked up some photos and I have done in a different project without knowing that is the proper way to do it. I wish I would have done the same in this specific project. Then again, I am not a pro and have no way of just knowing everything. If I'd afford I'd so spare myself from doing certain things. Thanks again, I appreciate it very much! Happy new year!

Old 12-27-13, 11:11 PM
I use tape around the wire nuts just in case.
But if you want it to look like a pro job you won't use tape.