old wiring? trying to install exhaust fan please help!!

Old 12-29-13, 01:20 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
old wiring? trying to install exhaust fan please help!!

I did a brief internet search on this type of wiring, but I forget the name of it at the moment.

Anyway, there are only two black wires connecting to the existing light switch. There are no white and no ground wires at all.

I am trying to use the hot wire from this switch to feed it to another switch that controls a new exhaust fan.

Can this be done?

What do I do about the white and ground wires on the romex that I'm using for the exhaust fan?

I suppose I could look this up, but the next question is how do I get the new light switch box (2-gang) to go flush against the wall?

Thanks so much for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-13, 01:36 PM
Temporarily Suspended
You can use the black wire from the switch but you have to find the neutral (white) wire, to make it work. As far as the gang box goes, you have to open the wall, mount it on a stud, then patch the wall.

Old 12-29-13, 01:55 PM
I wonder where the neutral could be?

The black wires that go down to the switch go back up to connect to the light fixture.

I noticed there were two black wires (I think) at the light fixture, definitely no white or ground. I changed the light fixture/medicine cabinet a few days ago.

Will I have to tear out a pretty big chunk of the wall in order to nail the box to the stud?

Thanks.

Old 12-29-13, 02:08 PM
Temporarily Suspended
From what you say, the white wire is probably behind the fixture, in the ceiling. Remove the fixture to be sure what's behind it.

There is another type of gang box that doesn't require being nailed to a stud. Maybe you can use one of those.

Old 12-29-13, 03:12 PM
The light fixture I'm referring to is actually in the medicine cabinet, so the wires are on the wall.

I will look again, but I don't remember seeing any white wires or grounds.

The two-gang box is the kind that goes in without being attached to the stud, but the previous one-gang box was slightly taller than this box, so it's not a snug fit to begin with.

There are screws that have a metal flap on them that are supposed to grip to the back of the drywall once you tighten them...but they don't work well I guess because of the hole being too tall from the previous box.

Any other suggestions? Thanks.

Old 12-29-13, 03:36 PM
Temporarily Suspended
You can position a piece of lath, behind the hole, so it covers as much of it, needed to make the box work. Attach it to the wall using sheet rock screws. The lath has to extend a few inches to either side of the hole, in order to have support. That's where the screws go.