Installing Light Fixture with Strange Circuit Behavior

Old 01-04-14, 10:58 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Installing Light Fixture with Strange Circuit Behavior

Hi,
I have an electrical circuit issue that I've never encountered before and am hoping I could get some advice on what may be causing it. I've done many DIY electrical projects so am familiar with wiring.

I am hooking up an overhead light in our dining room. We just purchased the house and it didn't have an overhead light, but the wiring /circuit exists. (The previous owner took the light with them). The existing circuit has juice, as I've verified it via a circuit tester, but when I connect the light and flip the switch (existing dimmer), I get no juice, and also the circuit tester doesn't light - which I've never encountered before. I thought I had the lines crossed, but that didn't work. I switched out the light as I thought I had a bad light due to a bad ground, but that's not it either.

So I tested with a lamp that works elsewhere, and tried it on this circuit. However, as soon as I turn on the switch to the lamp, the lamp doesn't light, and in testing the circuit, the tester light does not come on. Once I turn off the switch on the lamp, the tester light comes on.
Any ideas?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-14, 12:20 PM
circuit has juice, as I've verified it via a circuit tester
If you mean non contact tester it is meaningless for this. You need to use a test light, multimeter (preferably analog), or a solenoid tester.
I thought I had a bad light due to a bad ground, but that's not it either.
Lights will work just fine without a ground. Ground is for safety not function.

Unfortunately you have given us no information that will help us help you. How many wires at the switch? What colors? How are they connected? How many wires at the light? What colors? How did you connect them?

Last edited by Nashkat1; 01-04-14 at 12:33 PM. Reason: minor typo
Old 01-04-14, 01:52 PM
thanks for responding. the issue was a bad dimmer switch. I replaced it and it's working fine.