outdoor illuminated sign on post


Old 01-04-14, 05:31 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
outdoor illuminated sign on post

Hello. I recently had a pole sign put up in the parking lot of the small commercial building I own.
The sign company said I would need to run triplex cable to power the sign.

I have done a lot of interior wiring in the past, but never used triplex cable or run cable outdoors.

What gauge triplex cable is typically needed for this type of thing?
Can triplex cable be connected to a junction box with 12-2 ROMEX to take it back to the panel?

How is triplex connected to the panel once it is run inside the building?

Any help is appreciated.
Old 01-05-14, 12:37 AM
PJmax's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Northern NJ - USA
Posts: 60,853
Received 1,335 Votes on 1,234 Posts
Triplex for a single sign is a little over kill.

When I wire a sign like that I use 12-2 UF attached to a metal guy line. 12-2 will supply up to 20A of power which is a lot of lighting.
Old 01-05-14, 06:39 AM
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 138
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
1/8" plastic coated steel cable makes a good messenger line (guy line). Note: The messenger line must be grounded. The UF must be marked sunlight or UV resistant, most is.
Old 01-06-14, 09:58 PM
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 391
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
AL Triplex would probably run cheaper all told when you factor in the length of the copper UF, the messenger wire and its associated hardware, etc. Also seeing what the sun has done to exposed "above-ground rated" PVC conduit on my west wall in just two years I would not trust PVC-jacketed UF for an exposed application.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: