Strange issue... flourcent light causes ceiling fan/light unit to flicker.

Old 01-07-14, 08:57 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Strange issue... flourcent light causes ceiling fan/light unit to flicker.

Hi guys,

First post here, I hope someone can help identify what may be wrong before I call out a sparky.
Please excuse me in advance for my lack of technical knowledge; Iím pretty much an amateur diyist.

Recently I fitted a ceiling fan/light unit in my bedroom. The bedroom light and fan work fine however whenever the living room lights are operated (either switched ON or OFF it seems to cause the power to the bedroom ceiling fan/light unit to momentarily stop and flicker for less than a second.
But I have double checked the wiring for both the bedroom and living room lights and they seem fine. Iíve had my entire house rewired about 8 years ago and the lighting circuit for the top floor of my house is connected to the same circuit on the RCD box, this is for about 5 rooms includes the bedroom and living room.

I currently donít have a voltmeter to test the current, but today I replaced the ceiling fan with a standard light bulb and found this was NOT affected by the living room light. Also no other room lights seem to be affected by this, nor do they cause the bedroom ceiling fan/light to flicker.
The living room has a standard 58w T8 florescent tube fitted.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-14, 03:02 PM
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
If there is a dimmer on the ceiling fan, it can not be used with CFL bulbs. This may be the source of your flicker.

Old 01-07-14, 03:41 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Welcome to the forums!

whenever the living room lights are operated (either switched ON or OFF it seems to cause the power to the bedroom ceiling fan/light unit to momentarily stop and flicker for less than a second.
Are you seeing an effect on the fan speed or only on the lights? What type of light bulb are you using in the fan light? And, as czizzi asked, what type of control for that light?

Old 01-07-14, 04:00 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

The fan unit is remote controlled and has a dimmer feature which is controlled via the remote control. This is the fan unit --> Buy Living Manhattan Satin Nickel Finish Ceiling Fan at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for Ceiling and wall lights..

The unit is using a 1 x 40W SES candle bulb which came with the unit and is also recommend by the manufacturers manual.

All the features of the fan and light work perfectly. However its only the light that seems to flicker when the living room light is switched either ON or OFF. However I've noticed if the fan is operating, the light does not flicker. The light seems to only flicker when the fan is not operating.

The fan is mainly controlled via the remote. The entire unit is fed its power by switch live which also allows me to turn the unit light on and off by a standard wall light switch.

I tried a bit of a long shot today and returned the unit for a replacement (incase unit was faulty) but flicker effect still there..