How to wire a T8 electronic ballast to fluorescent bulbs + switch.

Old 01-08-14, 10:44 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Smile How to wire a T8 electronic ballast to fluorescent bulbs + switch.

Hi guys

hope your all well, need some assistance please.

Having issues wiring a T8 tridonic Ballast to switch. I can figure out wiring to bulbs as i've wired t5 in the past, it's simply the switch bit i find tricky.

this is the ballast:
Fluorescent Control Gear Ballast For 3x 18 Watt T8 Tube Lamp 18w TRIDONIC 3x18 | eBay

Planning to use this 3 core 6 amp switch.
2 x 6 Amp Inline Rocker Switch 3 Core KNIGHTSBRIDGE 1250 White for Lamp Light 6a | eBay

All this need to be fixed to a 3 x 18w t8 bulbs.

I know their might not be much to it, just need some re assurance . someone to put me on the right track as we have no room for error.

here what i can't understand:
the ballast has 8 pins to connect to, i thought i only needed 6 ports. 2 for each bulb(one connection for each end of the light bulb)

as for the mains which only has 2 ports guessing thats for live/neutral. how about the earth wire?

secondly and more importantly is connecting the switch. does this come of the mains power cable? not sure how to go about it..

with 8 pins on the ballast and 2 on each bulb how do i wire it together safely as we need 6 for bulbs and it totals to 8?
Name:  WIRING.jpg
Views: 1448
Size:  8.5 KB

Lastly the switch. Can i simply peal of the rubber insulation of the mains wire and splice the switch wire with mains

Or will have to be ballast - switch - mains. so there will be 2 sets of wires going to the switch, one for in coming and out going right?

please let me know the simplest way around this. would only like one wire going to the switch?
Name:  WIRING.jpg
Views: 1950
Size:  9.3 KB
is it simple. i am yet to purchase everything so just want to know if it can be done easily before buying.

hope the drawings help, drawing is not one of my strong points

thanks for looking / talk soon

Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-14, 05:35 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 33 Votes on 28 Posts
Someone may jump in and be able to help, but this is primarily a US based site. European wiring is different than in the US.

Old 01-08-14, 06:00 PM
oh, thanks for letting me know...

Old 01-10-14, 11:17 AM
quick update

well finally figured out how to wire it, very straight forward. following the manufactures instructions.

Would someone be able to let me know correct wire size.

I understand for the t8 18w i need single core wire 0.5-1.0mm(8.5a). any idea which one to go for.. nice one