Running new circuit w/ switch for 1 light and 2 dimmers for ceiling lights

Old 01-10-14, 10:10 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Running new circuit w/ switch for 1 light and 2 dimmers for ceiling lights

Hi guys,

I have relatively little experience doing electrical work around my house (changing switches, adding/changing outlets/light fixtures, etcÖ). Iím starting a new project in the basement, running a circuit from a newly installed 15-amp breaker, to a junction box in the ceiling, which will double as a box to hang a billiards light. I would like to run a switch to control the billiards light and a couple dimmers to control 2 ceiling lights Iíll be installing. Rather than trying to explain everything with my lack of electrical vocabulary, I figured I would diagram it out and just look to your expertise for approval as to whether or not what I have on paper would theoretically work as I intend. Please excuse the rudimentary diagram, I hope itís sufficient. Thanks in advance!

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-14, 10:36 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
To be compliant with 2011 national code which requires neutrals at the switch boxes it would be easier/simpler to run power to one of the switch boxes. Can you do that? Can you run it to the two gang switch box? If yes we will go from there.

Old 01-10-14, 02:37 PM
Thanks Ray for the quick response!

The only wire that's actually already pulled is the feed from the breaker to that ceiling box and the 2 gang switch box is another 15+ feet away, ugh. So I could rerun a new wire, but I have some communication with the local building inspector that states "the electrical codes that are followed are the 2005 NEC codes". So I guess now I'd have 2 questions.

1. If that's the case, would the wiring in the 1st diagram work as intended?

2. If not, and I run the feed to the 2 gang switch box, would the new diagram be how that is handled?

Thanks again!

Attached Images  
Old 01-10-14, 07:37 PM
Group Moderator
Received 516 Votes on 486 Posts
You are installing two dimmers to control a set of light. You can't just use any dimmers. You need a master dimmer and a slave that controls the master dimmer. Some slaves only require two conductors so be sure to check the installation instructions before wiring or purchasing the dimmers.

Old 01-10-14, 08:09 PM
Thanks PJ, I think I'll just swap out one of those dimmers for a switch. Other than that do either, or both, look acceptable, based on 2005 NEC codes?

Old 01-11-14, 02:08 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Nice diagram. That should work fine under 2005. If you do want to meet 2011 code you just need to use 14-4 between the 3-ways but it is not required under 2005.