Harbor Breeze Remote Switches

Old 01-04-14, 06:11 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Harbor Breeze Remote Switches

Installed 3 Harbor Breeze Portes fans from Lowes to replace Hampton Bay fans. The remote only has 1 switch so only 2 combination, either 0 or 1. Then you click the 'Learn' button on the remote. Luckily the 3rd fan was installed far enough away and with walls in between so no interference with a duplicate code. My question is: is there anyway to use my old Hampton Bay remotes (with 4 switches) as extra remotes ? Thanks in advance

Old 01-04-14, 07:02 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
It is doubtful since your fans and remotes have to "learn". There won't be a manual way of coding them. Some after market remotes may allow it, but you'd have to do some research. You say the remote only has "on/off?" How about the fan unit?

Old 01-04-14, 08:06 AM
Received 6 Upvotes on 5 Posts
My question is: is there anyway to use my old Hampton Bay remotes (with 4 switches) as extra remotes [for my new Harbor Breeze fans]?
No. To get extra remotes for your new fans you will need to buy matching Harbor Breeze units.

Old 01-15-14, 09:40 AM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
update to my previous post

I wanted to pass along what I have since found out.
Someone from my local Lowes called me back with the instructions. He also gave me the number for Harbor Breeze Lowes technical support 800-643-0067 Option #2.
Unlike older fans that have 4 dip switches ... THIS fan only has 2 choices and a Learn buttom.

So... this new technology works like this:
The zero is the default. Any fan(s) within 40 feet will work with the same remote(s).

If you put the switch to 1 and then press 'Learn', it will find a unique code just for that remote and fan. For more fans.. turn the power OFF to all fans and power back ON to only the fan you want to program..set the switch to 1, click Learn and it will find another unique code just for that 3rd fan and remote. And so on. He said there is no limit to how many of these fans I could have in close proximity.

This worked exactly as he said. Only downside ... I mount one remote on the wall for when you enter the room and I like an extra remote on the nightstand.
This seems only possible with switch on 0.
When I tried to program an extra remote for the other rooms using switch 1,
it creates a new code thereby disabiling the first remote in that room.
If I program the other rooms back to zero switch, then all the lights go on in all the rooms. So plan ahead which room you might want extra remotes and make that the default switch 0.

Hope this helps anyone in same situation. The instructions do not explain past the first 2 fans.

Old 01-15-14, 10:33 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Thanks for the good followup and information. Hopefully if it rears it's ugly head again we'll be armed.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: