Dimmer turns light on and off, but wont dim

Old 01-15-14, 03:28 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dimmer turns light on and off, but wont dim

I installed a dimmer, and the light turns on and off just fine, but the dimmer wont dim the light at all. I included a picture of how I set it up, and I ended up putting the second black wire in the hole for snap in wires on the back just like it was on the previous switch. Thanks for the help in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-14, 03:47 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I ended up putting the second black wire in the hole for snap in wires on the back just like it was on the previous switch.
Bad practice then and bad practice now. They should have been pigtailed because the push-in connectors are unreliable but that isn't your problem for now.

Since it turns it off and on it is connected correctly. Did you turn the breaker off when installing? If not you may have fried the dimmer. Is the bulb a type of bulb that is dimmable and is the dimmer made to dim the type of bulb you have?

Old 01-15-14, 04:37 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I did have the circuit breaker off, and I tried it with standard 60 watt incandescent bulbs, I than switched out to a bulb that I know can dim as it does in another light in my house.
Here is the type of dimmer it is

Old 01-15-14, 06:28 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
That is a three way dimmer. If you have a single location switch not 3-way it may not work. Does the instructions say you could use it on non 3-way circuits? Typically a 3-way dimmer has three wires or terminals but only two are used when it is not a three way switch circuit. I can't make out what you did from the first picture. If this is not a 3-way and the switch can be used on a non 3-way circuit one terminal (or wire) on the switch should not have been used.