Installing Programmable Light Switch

Old 01-19-14, 08:58 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Installing Programmable Light Switch

Hi,

I need help with installing a programmable light switch.

The Programmble Light Switch that I am trying to install is this one from Home Depot. It's a Leviton VPT24-722. The manual from Leviton is here. I'm installing it in a stand-alone setting, so there is only one light switch and one set of lights that it controls.

When I unscrewed the existing lighting switch box, I found that the switch has only one black wire running through the switch. And there is a pair of twisted wires (red & black, and black & black). I also see a bunch of twisted white wires. I do not see any green wires. I've attached pictures of the mess.

My question, do I need the green wire, or can i install it without the green one? Also, there is a metal plate at the very back with screws that are holding some sort of a wire, is that where the green is supposed to go?

Can I untwist the red/black twisted pair, and use that red wire? what i do with the exposed black wire?

Any help will be appreciated!

Name:  IMG_00000025.jpg
Views: 513
Size:  47.0 KBName:  IMG_00000026.jpg
Views: 462
Size:  39.5 KBName:  IMG_00000027.jpg
Views: 428
Size:  35.1 KBName:  IMG_00000028.jpg
Views: 420
Size:  50.8 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-14, 09:47 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Well I see two ground wires to the box. Is the one in the middle just a bare wire that has been sleeved? Green wire needs to be pigtailed to one of the bares and the pigtail under the screw.

The black wire connected to both switches goes to the timer black. The other wire on the old switch goes to timer red. White goes to the group of white wires. Timer yellow is capped and not used.

Name:  IMG_00000028.jpg
Views: 1019
Size:  50.8 KB

Old 01-19-14, 09:59 AM
Thanks for the quick response. I took a couple more pictures.

The sleeved bare wire you have marked is set up the same way the ones on the top right are. It seems like there are a bunch of cables that contain bare copper wire, a black wire and a white wire. The bare copper wires are screwed to the metal plate which you have marked as Ground. The white ones are bunched together, and the black are either going to the switch except one, which is twisted with a red wire (not sure what's happening there).

Just to confirm, should I be taking the green from the programmable switch and screwing it at the back of the plate along with an existing ground wire? There is no Ground wire off of the plate that I can pigtail the programmable switch's ground wire to.

Name:  IMG_00000029.jpg
Views: 498
Size:  37.0 KBName:  IMG_00000030.jpg
Views: 437
Size:  44.4 KB

Old 01-19-14, 10:57 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
It seems like there are a bunch of cables that contain bare copper wire, a black wire and a white wire.
That is normal and expected.
the black are either going to the switch except one, which is twisted with a red wire (not sure what's happening there).
Not important and can be ignored. (Not broke so doesn't need fixing.)
Just to confirm, should I be taking the green from the programmable switch and screwing it at the back of the plate along with an existing ground wire?
You can or if no screws open remove one bare and connect it and the green to a pigtail and the pigtail to the screw.
There is no Ground wire off of the plate that I can pigtail the programmable switch's ground wire to.
No, but you can remove one of the ground wires and connect it and a pigtail to the green wire. Best practice should have been to connect all the grounds to three pigtails. One pigtail to each switch and the third to the box. However with a metal box connecting a ground wire to a switch is optional. However since your timer has a ground wire it should be connected.

Old 01-19-14, 12:00 PM
I connected the wires like you had indicated.

The Ground/Green wire is screwed at the black of the plate with one of the bare copper wires.

The black wire from the programmable switch is connected to the black wire that was going to both of the switches.

The red wire from the programmable switch is connected to the black wire on the old light switch which was not connected to the other light switch.

And the white wire from the programmable switch is connected to one of the white wires that are grouped/twisted in there. By the way, the white wire seemed to have some level of power in it, I definitely felt is when i touched it, but I'm still alive so I guess it wasn't full power.

As soon as I connected the white wire, the display on the programmable switch turned on with a white backlight that was flickering. So I went downstairs to the main power breaker box and turned on the breaker for that group of lights. Came upstairs and it was still flickering. Set the correct time on it, and it doesn't seem to be working. When I press the switch (to go into manual mode) the front lights don't turn on.

Did I do anything wrong?

Old 01-19-14, 12:14 PM
On the bright side, I have fully configured the programmable timer switch to my timezone and lat/lon.