How many 4" LED recessed lights for kitchen.

Old 01-21-14, 02:04 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How many 4" LED recessed lights for kitchen.

Hi all I am doing a kitchen reno and found a good deal on 4" recessed lighting. My kitchen area is 10'x10' with an attached dining area that has a separate light. I was wondering how many 4" LED lights I would need to properly light this area. We also plan on having 2 pendant lights over the kitchen island as well as under counter lighting. The 4" LED give off approximately 350 lumens of electricity but my kitchen has 9' ceilings.

Thanks for all your feedback.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-14, 04:00 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Welcome to the forums!

I am doing a kitchen reno and found a good deal on 4" recessed lighting. My kitchen area is 10'x10' with an attached dining area that has a separate light. I was wondering how many 4" LED lights I would need to properly light this area.
There's not a cut-and-dried answer to your question. To figure out a solution you might like, you'll need to draw a floor plan of your kitchen, locate the two pendant lights, and then figure out the best locations for these fixtures.

Assuming you're planning to use them for your general lighting, you'll need to use the light cone specifications for the fixtures and apply those to the shape of the room in a pattern that will give you even coverage.

4" fixtures aren't very big, 350 lumens* isn't a lot of light, and you have 9' ceilings. You may need a lot of them. Are you removing and replacing your ceiling as part of the renovation? Other than the fact that you think these fixtures are a good deal, is there a reason to choose them? Is there a reason to install recessed fixtures in this space at all?

If you want to post a link to the fixture specs and a floor plan, we can help you figure it out.

*Tech Note: Lumens is a measure of light output, not of electricity. For reference, a standard 60W incandescent light bulb emits between 750 and 1,049 lumens. A typical one from GE produced 820 lumens.

Old 01-21-14, 07:07 PM
Group Moderator
Received 371 Votes on 348 Posts
Nash is a good man when it comes to lighting.

In my opinion..... you won't be happy with 4" recessed fixtures in a kitchen..... especially with the added ceiling height. The minimum I'd recommend is 5".

Old 01-21-14, 07:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 30 Votes on 26 Posts
The 4" are fine for accent or task lighting. I would not try to use them for the general lighting. The cone of light is too narrow.